Thread: 4hk1tc diesel engine install in 1985 chevy k10

Default 4hk1tc diesel engine install in 1985 chevy k10

hello, i am thinking about installing and 2006 isuzu 4hk1tc diesel engine in my 1985 chevy k10, this motor came out of a wrecked truck i have everything i need off of the truck does anyone know how difficult the wiring would be to actually get this motor running, i am open for any suggestions and information thanks for the help.

Arrow

The 5.2L 4-cylinder 4HK1-TC diesel engine is turbocharged and intercooled and is 50-state emissions-certified for vehicles having a GVW of between 12,000-lb and 14,500-lb. This is an overhead cam engine with 4-valves per cylinder and a bore/stroke ratio is 115mm (4.53") x 125mm (4.92"), and rated at 210-hp @ 2550 rpm and 441 lb-ft @ 1850 rpm. One unique feature of the engine is its use of dry cylinder sleeves, which simplifies overhaul, and indicates the engine's commercial nature.

The 4H Isuzu diesel utilizes an electronically-controlled Denso common rail type fuel system, which will require all of the wiring, sensors and electronic modules for a successful conversion.

The difficulty of a transplant like you propose depends on you. If you're somewhat comfortable with automotive wiring and have a reasonable understanding of how everything works together, then the conversion shouldn't be all that difficult.

Sounds like a fun project. However, depending on where you live, getting the vehicle registered could be a problem. The 4H Isuzu is certified for a heavier class of vehicle than your '85 K10. California and several northeast states have much stricter regulations regarding "engine switching". The following EPA web gateways for emissions regulation information concerning diesel conversions may help if there's a question about your local regulations.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/epg/statepgs.htm
    http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour.../engswitch.pdf

Keep us posted.

Jim