Thread: Changing Allison Trans Fluid/Filter

Default Changing Allison Trans Fluid/Filter

How difficult is this to do yourself? Dealer want $185 to do it and I prefer to do it myself. Is the filter external that can be easily removed? I just afraid of screwing something up. This is for a 2005. Thanks in advance.
    2005 2500 D/A Ext. Cab 4x4 SLE LLY- Edge Juice w/Attitude and Predator. KN Cold Air intake, 5" exhaust, Kennedy Boost Stick

Drain trans oil by removing drain plug (in pan), and external trans-oil filter (it's reddish orange) located forward part of the trans. When oil has drained, replace drain plug, and install new filter (fill filter). Fill trans until full. There is a seal on the drain plug so make sure it's there when re-installing.

It's similar to changing your engine oil. There is more to do if your are converting to a better (tes 295) fluid....like Transynd.
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Also, you should post this in the Driveline section for better repsonses.
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Default Donut magnet

Make sure that you remove the donut magnet from the used filter and clean it. Then put it on the new filter.
    Good Luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Default Change your torque converter fluid too.

Allisons take about 15 qts. in the pan and torque converter. It's split roughly equally. To change your torque converter fluid too, add a couple of extra qts. to the pan when you drain and refill it. Then remove the cooling line coming from radiator to the torque converter (the top one) and hang it into a bucket that you have marked for 7 qts. Have "someone" start your truck and let it idle while you watch the fluid come out. Note: the fluid comes out at a reasonably slow rate. When the fluid reaches your 7 qt. line tell someone to turn off the truck. Reconnect the cooling line, top off your pan, and you are finished.