Thread: 2011 LML and B&W Hitch issues

Cool 2011 LML and B&W Hitch issues

Hi everyone didn't know if I should post here or under accessories but. I was reading and posting on the other site/Dplace and some of the LML owners on there are apparently having issues with their B&W Hitches on thier new trucks. It seems that there is a fair amount of flexing going on with the hitch on thier trucks when hooked up to a heavy goosenck or fifth wheel. Most of it seems to be with the companion fifthwheel adapter in place, but there are some complaints with those just using the ball with a gooseneck. Most of the trucks have the angle iron in the front of the hitch to the frame rails and the 1" bar in the rear of the hitch. B&W is apparently working on this issue.
    Some of the owners have had an extra piece of angle iron added with the bar stock.
    We haven't seemed to have any issues with our LML and B&W gooseneck. But for some reason ours already came with the angle and bar installed together in the front of the hitch and just the bar in the rear. I think maybe the reason that some are having bucking and flexing hitch movement is that maybe the new frames are wider and that is allowing the adapter bars to flex. Just a guess though because I don't really know the dimensions of the previous series frames or the new box frames. There are some video's of the hitches and the forward and aft movement of them when loaded.

Do you know which center section has been used on these hitches? The original 959 center section from B&W will bolt up to the new 2011 models, but B&W redesigned them and labeled them 959N (IIRC) to better fit the hydroformed rails. I'm a B&W dealer and received an email from them saying not to use the 959 center sections on the 2011 trucks.

I'll double check the part numbers when I get to work in the morning.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I don't know for sure which one they put on mine,but I'll try to find out. I know that the new kit's have different side plates and these don't use the U Bolts anymore. The U Bolts used to get over torqued sometimes and break the U Bolt. Maybe you can find out more from B&W about whats going on since your a dealer/installer maybe they will give you some insight. I looked at hitch and bed today and the hole that is around hitch is tight. The guy that installed our hitch said he drills the holes 1/8" smaller for a better fit. They sprayed the linex in our truck rimmediatley after the hitch was installed. And I don't see any crinkling or cracking of the linex or of the bed. So I would assume that our hitch is pretty solid. Do you know if these new frames are wider ? I'm thinking that maybe they are wider and they are using the wrong center section on those trucks that are having the problems ? I was under the impression that they used the exact same center section hitch and rails with just different side plates on the 2011's. Let me know if you find anything out. thanks
    Last edited by cowboywildbill; 11-11-2010 at 19:38.

Here's the email I received earlier this year:

"Change:

The fuel tanks on the 2011 trucks interfere with the front leg of the 959R center section and the flat washers used to attach the cross member and center section.

Solution:
    B&W has redesigned the 959R center section to allow for proper clearance and eliminated the slotted holes used to attach the front cross member. The new center section will be the 959N.

Important Information: Do not use the 959R for the 2011 GM trucks

To prevent damage to the fuel tank it is imperative that only the 959N center section and 1011R mounting kit be used with the 2011 GM ¾ & 1 Ton Truck Platform.

Inventory Information:

All existing 959R inventory can be used with the following Turnoverball applications; 1067R, 1057R, 1007R, 1059R and 1104R. Once all 959R inventory is flushed from inventory the 959N can be used with these applications as well. The 1011R mounting kit label will denote the use of the 959N only. Please notify all sales, warehouse and installation personnel of this change.

Change:

The chassis on the 2011 trucks are now hydro-formed and fully boxed.

Solution:

B&W's Turnoverball design still offers a "no drill" solution and easy installation with the addition of bolt guides for threading mounting hardware through the frame for side plate attachment.

If you have any questions regarding the changes please call us at 800-248-6564, email us at hitches@turnoverball.com or ask a question on www.AskMrHitch.com"

I don't know if this info helps or not, but if anyone has any issues, B&W is an awesome company to deal with. Just give them a call.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find out which one they used on mine, and maybe I can find out which one they used on the trucks that have the problem.

Several months ago I was backing a new goose neck trailer into some loading doors with an F450 equipped with the B&W Turnover Ball hitch. I misjudged my distance to the rubber bumpers and tapped them just slightly. Not enough to scrape the paint. Just enough to know I had. A check of the hitch area afterward showed a slight ridging of the spray-in liner but no discernible damage to the bed around the hole, the hitch brackets etc. We had the hitch checked out by the dealer and no problems. I wonder how much flexing takes place on a rough road when you can really feel the jolts.
    2008 2500HD Ext. 4X4
    265/75R16
    Reese Signature 18k slider
    Montana 38.4 ft 5th wheel

I,m sure there has to be a little movement in the hitches. We haven't had any issues with our's so far with about 600 miles of towing.