Thread: 1999 C/K3500 Duramax Conversion - Motor Mounts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1999 C/K3500 Duramax Conversion - Motor Mounts

Folks, I've spent a great deal of time reading the conversion posts, surfing the internet and buying diesel magazines (including the Duramax Conversion Guide) trying to find a source to PURCHASE the engine mounts for this conversion. Yet all to no avail, at least so far. Hence I thought I would try a post to see if anyone knew of someone who was building and selling the mounts. I would be quite happy to purchase rather than manufacture them from a efficiency perspective. That's my initial question on this path I've chosen to take. I must say that I am very happy to see so many others who have been here before from which I can learn and gather knowledge. I have completed cummins conversions into Chevy's in the past (1991 3500 single wheel crew cab (87 Body Style), 1970 GMC 5500 Cummins/Allison) those however were not as daunting from a wiring perspective as the Duramax is.
    Thanks in advance for your guidance on this subject.

From what i learned from doing mine, I would reccomend building your own to match your set-up. Slight changes in how the mounts are welded together can make the difference between hitting the hood or your steering. People with 2WD trucks can lower the engine down some and get more hood clearance whereas the 4WD app needs to be a bit on the high side.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

For my application I used stock duramax motor mounts & modified the receiving mount that bolts to the frame (intermediate mount). I then welded in a piece of angle so that it sat on the lower flange inside the framerail bolted through the side & bottom of the frame into that angle modified mount. Then to err on caution I made a crossmember that wrapped up the outside of the frame to tie it all together with the bolts passing through all three.
    87 crew cab dually 2wd w/6.2 converted to 4wd and working on 6.6 lb7 transplant. frame up restoration.
    04 e350 w/6.0 work van
    00 24' prowler

Thanks for the replies thus far. Jim any thoughts on cost? I'd be willing to sponsor more than one set if they are reasonable. I have to assume there are folks out there trying to do this. Destroked, and FordCummins seem to be doing a good job of producing parts and pieces for the cummins conversions into Fords. I would think if a person could bundle together a bit of a package, as they have, for the Dmax conversion there would be interest.
    I do see the benefit of fabricating my own, but I travel extensively and need all of the 3rd party labour I can get reasonably to make this conversion happen.

I'll visit the fab shop this week, and see what they can do for us. I'll post back to this thread by Friday.

Jim