Thread: 6.5 heads on 6.2 block tech help please

Default 6.5 heads on 6.2 block tech help please

I have put 6.5 heads and injectors on 6.2 block got it all together and now it dont start right. I was wondering if the camshaft has to be 6.5 I have 6.2 camshaft in it and I cant get it timed right

If there's a difference between the 6.2 & 6.5 cams, I'm not aware of it. Swapping heads and fuel injection systems shouldn't be a problem. It's been done many-many times. I suspect you have an unrelated problem - like air in the fuel system, timing set not timed correctly, incorrectly installed fuel injector lines (i.e. a couple of them were inadvertently swapped) or something else.

Jim

Default thanks

I finaly got it starting and idleing right. and then it went right back to not starting. Its got me and about 5 of my friends baffelled

Just did this very thing a few months ago. Engine runs like it never has - much more power and easier starting.

As Jim said, you may still have air in the lines. I know I've had mine idling after changing fuel filters, then headed up the street and it would die - still air in the lines. If you had it idling right, then it sounds like the timing is good. It won't change by itself to keep the engine from restarting unless you left the IP bolts loose.

Also, how are your glow plugs? Getting power to the plugs? Maybe you knocked a wire loose.
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"