Thread: Cold Air Intake

Post Cold Air Intake

I know this has been beat to death in lots of other threads, but as of right now, what is considered the best intake for the 6.5 TD? I'm currently using the OEM air box with an Amsoil filter. Last oil analysis was pretty good, but is this going to restrict air flow when I get finished with my upgrade project?

there isn't really much in the way of a good CAI on the market for the 6.5.
    most places will charge you $250+ for a system that put the filter closer to the turbo.

right now, the best bang for your buck is probably still just opening up that stock snorkel.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

From everything I have read the stock K47 airbox off a 1997+ GM diesel is about as good as it gets, once you delete the snorkle.

Don
    New to me in Feb 2010. 1994 Chev K2500, ext cab. Just got it back on the road April 2010. Mods by owner before my PO are turbomaster and intake snorkle removal. Also have remote PMD behind bumper, OPS relay mod, manual LP button for priming filter, all on headlight mod. homegrown feed the beast mod, Dmax 9 blade fan, Heath low temp fan clutch, HO balanced flow water pump, dual thermo crossover, Boost fooler, Vacuum pump delete, 4X4 Posi-lok, Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, TCC lockup mod, CS 144 alt replacing the CS130, More mods planned as $$$ allows.

I have been giving serious consideration to the 97+ air box but the interesting thing about that is that Amsoil has the same filter # for all 6.5 TD from about 92 on. Since my understanding is they are not even close to the same, I'm wondering what that is about.

Sometimes you get lucky. I scored an airbox from a 98 6.5 TD at the local bone yard for $5. Had to dig it out of the snow in the back of a pickup they were tearing down, but it will clean up nice. It is in very good shape. Sometimes you just get lucky. It does look like a major improvement over the old one.