--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second email to NARSA:

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply.

I was aware of the coolant/air interface problem. The GM 6.5 and Duramax cooling systems are monitored with a "Low Coolant" indicator. Engine or cooling system problems that result in a lowering of the coolant level usually result in a warning to the driver. Our personal vehicles equipped with the GM 6.5L or Duramax diesel engines and Dex-Cool have not experienced any cooling system issues.

Do the 4.3L engines used in GM's late model Blazer, Jimmy, Sonoma, S10 pickup and Olds Bravada models not have a low coolant indicator? These engines and models are included in a class-action lawsuit, resulting from cooling system and engine corrosion due to Dex-Cool.

Thanks again,
Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second reply from: Joe Ettwein
NARSA Technical Services Manager

Yes the 4.3 GM engines have low coolant warning systems, including my 2002 1500 Silverado w/ 4.3 V6. The interesting thing is that if the radiator pressure cap does not seal at the filler neck, the coolant escapes at that location and since the siphon is non-existent, the radiator coolant level can deplete even though the reservior is at the proper level...simply looking at the level in the jug is not enough.

Joe

Second reply from: Mike Dwyer, CAE
Executive Director - National Automotive Radiator Service Association (NARSA)

Jim:

If there aren't any problems, I wouldn't replace the Dex-Cool with conventional green if for no other reason than it will void the manufacturer's warranty. If the vehicle is out of warranty, of course, it wouldn't matter. If you switch, you'll also lose the 5-year, 150,000 mile long-life coolant service.

Mike

Copyright 2003 by TheDieselPage.com