Thread: Fuel Additives?

Default Fuel Additives?

What's the consensus on this one?

Should I be using a fuel additive to help with lubricity/injector yada yada low sulfur diesel?

If yes...what kinds do the people here use?

i've seen something called Stana... something in a couple threads.

Gets pretty cold sometimes....maybe it will help to keep cold weather fuel problems from showing up as well?

2005 GMC 2500 6.6

For severe cold weather, #1 diesel would be my choice if available. If you encounter gelling problems, FPPF Meltdown is good to have in your emergency cold weather kit, along with a spare filter, gloves and wrenches.

As for ongoing fuel treatment / lubricity - I like HOWES, which is available at most truck stops.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default STdone

Got some Stanadyne perf. ordered.

Thanks...will test the Howes as well

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledragger View Post
    Got some Stanadyne perf. ordered.

Thanks...will test the Howes as well
    I have used the Stanadyne Performance Formula since the beginning. Back in the middle of 2007 I read a Lubricity Study on some of the leading fuel additives Stanadyne included, and while it did OK it was certainly not the leader of the pack when it comes to lubricity. So, I started adding the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in addition to the Performance Formula. I feel much better using this combo since the low sulfer diesel showed up.
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

FPPF Total Power is the best that I have found.

As Mark stated Meltdown is handy to have for Emergency use. We stock both.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I use Stanadyne also, but for commercial products opti-lube XPD has the best lubricity according to this test

http://http://www.johnfjensen.com/Di...itive_test.pdf

I have not been able to get my hands on the opti-lube though.

The test shows a 2% mixture of 100% bio-diesel to be the best for lubricity, but bio-diesel gels at about 28*F
    '83 K20 Suburban
    N/A 6.2, 700r4 non-lockup, Racor secondary filter
    Overload airbags

John: I know this has been asked before, but, does FPPF allow your filter/separator to remove the water from the fuel? Does Howes? How do you tell, from reading the labels, or looking at the adds on the computer, what properties to look for. IE, total emmulsification, or total dispersion, etc. ? I can never remember. Seems like I read somewhere that Stanadyne just breaks up the water and allows it to pass on through the filter media, to be injected and burned. Is this so, and if so, what's the difference between this and immulsification?
    Thanks,
    Dick
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.