Thread: How to glow the engine when slightly warm?

Default How to glow the engine when slightly warm?

I have a 93 chevy 6.5. The glow plugs work great when the engine is dead cold. The engine fires right up on what seems to be a quarter of a revolution with no smoke and no missing. But If I drive a couple of blocks and shut off the engine, the glow plugs will not come on and the engine has to crank about 5 seconds to fire up. What do I need to do to make them come on when the engine is past the dead cold stage?
    1993 Chevy 3500 6.5 extended cab 155 in wheelbase manual trans

You really should not need the glow.

Does it start cleanly after this 5 second crank or does it slobber smoke and misfire?

How does it start after a hot soak?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

When the engine is not up to operating temp and I shut if off, then turn the key back on, the glow light does not come on. After cranking 5 seconds, the engine fires up and runs smooth with light smoke then clears up quickly. When the engine has reached operating temperature, it fires right up fine and runs great no smoke.
    1993 Chevy 3500 6.5 extended cab 155 in wheelbase manual trans