I´m currently rebuilding my 6,5TD for my K1500 and I´m ready to bolt on the cylinder heads. The block has been shaved .010" so I installed Mahle .010" reduced compression height pistons.

The pistons protrude around .007" (some a few thousands less) out of the block, which I suppose is borderline in order to obtain .035" of piston to head clearance using a STD thickness Fel-Pro head gasket.

I have both the STD thickness 9701PT Fel-Pro headgaskets and the .010" thicker Fel-Pro 9521PT gaskets here in my shop. I´m leaning towards the thicker gaskets to increase piston to head & valve clearance, but I´m a little worried about the reliability of a thicker gasket. Also, of course, it will lower compression. Which ones would you install? - Any comments?

I need the engine to be dependable and produce decent power. Towing will be limited to pulling a trailer with my race car once in a while.

Engine is stock except Heath Max-E-Tork Eprom, Heath HO injectors, Heath Turbo-Master, main cap stud girdle and a Fluidampr balancer. Most engine components are new, except block(929), crank, rods and heads.

You´re all a great help here at TDP. Usually a quick search will answer my questions.

Thank You!
Anders