Thread: Newbie here

Default Newbie here

Hello to all. I have been reading through the threads like a maniac over the last few days trying to educate myself.

I have found this truck. Is this a good place to start? I am gathered through reading that 2006 is a very good year for this truck and you get the 6 speed allison to boot.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2214954675.html

I am going to be calling the owner on this truck but wanted some input on what type of questions to ask that are vital to evaluation of this particular truck. You guys know all the idiosyncrasies of this platform so I would like to draw on your knowledge.

Of course the normal stuff will be asked, 1 owner, what did you tow, how often, review records keeping, physical examination carfax. Has it been chipped? Stock filter assembly,

This truck is about 5 hours away from me so I dont know if I can coordinate a evaluation by the local chevy dealership.

The thing I really do a poor job with is evaluating if a car has been damaged, wrecked, and repaired.

My current Ford Expedition is terribly inadequate in towing our 20' enclosed trailer with a loaded gross curb weight of about 6,000-7000 pounds.

Welcome aboard - you are asking all the right questions.

If you mean business on this truck - or any others:

• Get the VIN, have your local Chevy dealer run the history to see what has been done re warranty, injectors, etc.
    • CARFAX may uncover accident or repair history. Ask the owner straight out if its been repaired in any way, minor to major
    • Don't buy anything sight unseen. Do the miles, or find one closer
    Good luck - looks like a nice truck. Plan on a $5000 repair bill sometime between 100K and 200K. Make your cash offer reflect this reality, and discuss it with the seller, who is getting off the truck right before his warranty expires.

Might be reasonable to ask WHY? Make sure you watch the exhaust smoke at cold startup, after the truck is warm, and if you can, TOW something with it!!!

Looks like a nice truck, with a reasonable price for the miles. Beat him up and offer $19 cash on the barrel - put $3K in your savings for the day the injectors need replacement.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Rest assured, you can bet I will do the miles before I buy. If I do follow through I still may try to get them to drop it at the Chevy dealership for a good once over. If they have nothing to hide then they have nothing to loose if I am footing the bill.

Best I could find locally is a 05 LT with 138k on a car lot for $24.900!

I ran it through kbb.com and came up with a private party "good" rating of $25,400, fair was $23,700. I will start at $19k per your suggestion though.

Hmmmm. It is a odd coincidence that they are getting out at 99k....hmmmm

What characteristics am I looking for regarding smoke at startup and when warm?

Why $5000 in repairs? Is that just for injectors or will other common issues occur? It would be very useful information to be able to outline the upcoming repairs when negotiating price.

I did notice a rebuilt Allison is not cheap!

I don't know about Diesel in your area but its going through the roof in my area. $4.00 very soon. Maybe that will soften the price of these trucks a bit.
    Last edited by Enigma; 02-18-2011 at 22:12.

I would be asking about what performance mods have been done to the truck and are they still on it. If the computer/ECM has been tampered with in anyway you may have a hard time getting the truck serviced for any engine problems that may arise.
    08 Blue Granite Silverado LTZ, DMax/Ally, CC/LB/4x4, Cab lights, Camper mirrors, Brake controller, Sunroof, Park assist, and skinny tires

06 Jetta TDI

00 Jayco 263RK (2nd home)

upgraded to an "09" Ranger 619VS/full windsheilds, w/an ETEC 225HO, T8 kicker, Minnkota 101 Terrova, and Lowrance electronics.

Real Trucks have LONG BEDS!

Runaway,

I agree, the ultimate would be to have a Chevy dealer scan it if I could manage it.

I really would prefer to have a "bone stock" truck in every way all the way down to the wheels.

Default smoke

you want to see if there is any smoke because this could be a sign of bad injectors. A dealer, (or tech. with a GM tech 2) can shut down each injector to see which one is smoking. good luck

With regard to the 06 midyear LLY / LBZ switch. Did all 06 models (regardless of LLY or LBZ) get the 6 speed allison?

Also is the claimed HP increase true between 06 LLY and LBZ. Its quite a jump going to the LBZ?

How do the engines differ in 06 models? What improvements were made in the 06 LBZ over the 06 LLY?

Injector warranty? 7yrs / 200k from date of mfg? Is it transferable?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    With regard to the 06 midyear LLY / LBZ switch. Did all 06 models (regardless of LLY or LBZ) get the 6 speed allison?
    Yes.

Also is the claimed HP increase true between 06 LLY and LBZ. Its quite a jump going to the LBZ?
    Yes. Quite a jump. Competitive marketing of the time.

How do the engines differ in 06 models? What improvements were made in the 06 LBZ over the 06 LLY?
    Programming.

Injector warranty? 7yrs / 200k from date of mfg? Is it transferable?
    Yes, but you don't have to "transfer" anything. The warranty follows the vehicle and is dependent on miles/time, regardless of owner. However, it doesn't apply to the LLY/LBZ. The 7/200 extended warranty is unique to LB7 models (01-04), and not all of them.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks DMax!

I forgot to ask. Are all dmax 2500s the HD models?

With proper care how many miles are people getting out of these 6 speed allisons? What, they are about $4k for a installed rebuild from Suncoast?

Can you pay the dealer to install LBZ software in a 06 LLY?

I wont be driving this truck a great deal. Mainly for towing. As a result I plan on keeping it a looooooonnnnngggg time.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-02-2011 at 20:25.

Arrow

All Duramax 2500's are HD's. The 2500 is only available with a gas engine.

I haven't heard of any "wore out" Allison trannies. There have been a few failures, but certainly nothing that could be called a trend to calculate a predicted failure point. The ones that do fail, seem to fail regardless of treatment. Easy or hard.

No. It will have to be aftermarket. The GM Tech II's will not (or they choose to not) update the calibration to anything but what is specified by the VIN.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Talking

The 06 Medium duty didn't get a 6 speed until the 07 model year.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    The 06 Medium duty didn't get a 6 speed until the 07 model year.
    Denny
    2500HD is medium duty???? Please forgive my ignorance. Trying to soak it all in

I think he means 4500+ when he says "medium duty". A 2500HD is still a lightweight in the grand scheme of things....
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510