Thread: 52 conversion

Default 52 conversion

I would like to convert my 1952 Buick Super to diesel. It currently has a straight 8 and is all original. Should I swap the engine, or swap the body onto an existing vehicle, and which would be easiest and what would be the best match?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut8282 View Post
    I would like to convert my 1952 Buick Super to diesel. It currently has a straight 8 and is all original. Should I swap the engine, or swap the body onto an existing vehicle, and which would be easiest and what would be the best match?
    Maybe not the easiest but the most cool would be a 6BT 5.9 Cummins with the VE pump. It's a straight 6 engine so it would have a similar profile to your straight 8. Also, you'll get excellent fuel economy like around 30 mpg and tons of power and with the VE pump, it'll be quiet. It's interesting to note that my 1990 Suburban with the VE pump 5.9 Cummins is slightly more quiet than my 82 6.2 diesel Suburban. However, the issues you'll have with this engine are engine heigth and engine weight so the front end and frame will have to be able to handle the weight. But it would be extremely cool and at the same time, very fast.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    Maybe not the easiest but the most cool would be a 6BT 5.9 Cummins with the VE pump. It's a straight 6 engine so it would have a similar profile to your straight 8. Also, you'll get excellent fuel economy like around 30 mpg and tons of power and with the VE pump, it'll be quiet. It's interesting to note that my 1990 Suburban with the VE pump 5.9 Cummins is slightly more quiet than my 82 6.2 diesel Suburban. However, the issues you'll have with this engine are engine heigth and engine weight so the front end and frame will have to be able to handle the weight. But it would be extremely cool and at the same time, very fast.
    Thanks for the input, I will check that engine out and see how it matches up.

You're welcome

Here's a Chevelle where someone installed a 24 valve Cummins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_kjaxIDzc

However, the 24 valve Cummins noisy. If you want quiet, go with the 12 valve VE pump that was put in Dodge pickups from 88-93. They're also less money because the VE pump is only good for up to 500 hp where the P-pump is good to over 1000 hp.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear