Thread: running on ATF

Default running on ATF

im sure this has been discussed st some point... can you run a 6.5 on ATF? i have a buddy that runs his powerstroke on straight ATF and has for 5 years now but he says you cant run a 6.5 on it because of some sort of electric eye in the pump and he says that goes for running bio as well? anyone tried this yet? im looking at picking up a '97 3500 van with a 6.5 and im wanting to try and save a few bucks on my mileage as i drive 150 miles each day to my shop.

I have seen all sorts of stuff dumped through them strokes.

Local fellow used to burn filtered waste oil mixed with a little bit of gasoline to thin it out.
    ]
    Engine oil
    Tranny oil
    Hydraulic oil
    You name it and he fed it to the poor Power stroke.

The little beast always seemed to digest it OK

The 6.5 with the electronic pumps really does not do well with the "alternative fuels"

They will run the Bio/ULSD blends ok but the tranny oils and such are just not going to work well.

Yes, the optical sensor is going to be an issue.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

so, from what youre saying... the 6.5l will run ok with using bio like as in i could make my own in my shop correct? or are you talking of the kind that you buy at the pump here in indiana and illinois? im looking for a cost savings thing as im still a start up business struggling through this wonderful economy we have gotten ourselves into. i have "connections" all over so obtaining used veggie oil is a non issue provided it would work for me to manufacture my own bio. i only thought of the atf as one of my neighbors scraps cars and he hauls away a barrel every few weeks so i know i could get that for free. the veggie oil, ill have to work a little harder for that but still... when i drive 150 miles each day between going to the shop and then running around a little bit... i think i can save some serious coin at that end of the month.

I have run home-brewed BIO D in my 6.5L for several years now. I did have an issue with the optical sensor a couple of years ago and had to replace it. Whether it was due to the BioD or just time for service, I can't tell for sure.

I don't have any experience with the ATF, but I would want to make sure it was filtered really well. Plus, you'll have problems with cold starts and such if you don't do an aux. tank setup.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

ATF has a lot of additives that were never intended to be burned. Of all the "waste oil" products available, it's gotta be pretty high on the undesirable list.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

What year is your truck? 92-93 will love the trans fluid. Filter it to 5 micron or less and go for it. I would not hesitate to mix 5 gallons and might even push to 10 gallons to a 34 gallon tank myself. That alone would save $20-$40 per tank.
    94&^ I can't speak to.
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com