Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost power

Default Lost power

I have a motorhome from 96 that only done 20 000 km (12 000 miles). Only driven it 4 000 km myself since bought it last autumn. It suddenly start loosing power, estimate around 20% less. But that is much on a heavy motorhome. I replaces air and fuel filters, lift pump is working well. There is no smoke from exhaust. I got codes P0236 and P0237 suggesting a turbo/wastegate problem. But there is no black smoke or other sympthoms that should show if I have low pressure. Turbo is fine, wastegate seem to work. Still have to get a way to measure the pressure to confirm that. Don't think it's a blocked exhaust system.

Any thoughts?

--
    P-O

welcome

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ???

Fuel flow constriction can really chop the power and in a hurry.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Hi Missy,

I changed fuel and air filters 2 days ago, that was the first thing I thought of. I will try find a gauge to measure turbo pressure this week. A loose part in the silencer could cause the same problem, but don't feel like crawling under to take it apart...

Could there be a dried and cracked bellow in the waste gate actuator? The rod is feeling very sloppy when engine is not running, but seem to work when I start. Vehicle has been sitting unused for most of it's life.

--
    P-O

Check the vacuum to the waste gate actuator, it should be about 16" HG with engine running.

Check the vacuum at the vacuum pump too, it should be 26"hg and steady. If the needle wobble wildy then the pump is shot.

Keep us posted

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Made a temporary connection to a pressure gauge. When starting with cold engine pressure is going up to 0,5 bar around 1900 rpm and drops off above. After driving 5 km and engine reaching operating temps, pressure suddenly drops to zero. Looks to me like an electric fault in a component when it gets warm. The drop was instantly from pressure to zero when I was watching the guage.

Don't have a vacuum guage near to test, but is that nessesary now?

I been reading the service manuals, 2 heavy books. Not the easiest to follow, especially when I don't have the diagnostic tools. Any further suggestions appreciated.... I'm going for a 1 000 km trip in a few days and don't fancy limping along without turbo pressure . I have taken the MAP sensor off and measured resistance. No change when putting a bar pressure on it.

--
    P-O
    Last edited by Pogust; 05-09-2011 at 05:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogust View Post
    I have taken the MAP sensor off and measured resistance. No change when putting a bar pressure on it.

--
    P-O
    That's not a valid test. Apply 5 volts to the sensor. The output is voltage proportional to the pressure.

If you're going to fire the parts cannon at it, change the wastegate solenoid first. before you do that, though, check all the connectors
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Tried the MAP sensor better. Applied 5 volts to it and checked what came out. There is 2,4 volts without pressure, and 3,5 volts with 0,5 bar on it. Took the vehicle for a test run and same thing happened, only earlier this time when engine was warmer. Sudden drop of pressure.

Update: bypassed the solenoid, still no turbo pressure. So pump or actuator bad. Will go to town buy a vacuum guage tomorrow. And throwing parts at it is not a valid option. I'm in Europe and parts here usually comes through GM importer at a price I wouldn't consider... So parts are a week away from US dealers like RockAuto. That means I have to make sure I really order the right part.

Anyone taken a pump apart? What could cause this intermittent failure... Really don't fancy crawling under the motor home trying to get that pump out.

--
    P-O
    Last edited by Pogust; 05-09-2011 at 11:07.

After it drops out, if you let off the throttle then come back in gradually, does it make boost again or not? When it drops out, is the boost increasing or decreasing right before?

I cannot imagine a failure scenario for the actuator where it would work until hot.

Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Found it! Was the solenoid after all. I didn't manage to bypass it properly first time, there must have been a leak. Now with the vacuum gauge I could see what I was doing. Pump is doing 24" Hg steady.

Thanks Guys for the support!

Now, should I go for the turbo master instead? We have similar emission control as California, would there be a problem if I also do the Heath computer upgrade too?

--
    P-O

Quote Originally Posted by Pogust View Post
    Found it! Was the solenoid after all. I didn't manage to bypass it properly first time, there must have been a leak. Now with the vacuum gauge I could see what I was doing. Pump is doing 24" Hg steady.

Thanks Guys for the support!

Now, should I go for the turbo master instead? We have similar emission control as California, would there be a problem if I also do the Heath computer upgrade too?

--
    P-O
    I'm dealing with the same issue and believe the solenoid is at fault on my rig as well. I have also considered going with a turbomaster and computer work but the computer isn't in the budget right now so I'll probaby just change the solenoid. Let me know how it works out. Oh, I just passed a smog check here in California. If I get a chance I'll stop back by the shop and ask if the computer programming will cause it to fail.
    1999 K2500 Suburban 6.5 190,000
    2007 Navistar engine from Penninsular Engines , Boost & Pyro Gauges @138K.
    Remote DTECH bumper mounted FSD @197K.

Future mods: 4" exhaust, Heath ECU

Other rides

-2004 TDI Jetta-43MPG

Quote Originally Posted by anp4god View Post
    I'm dealing with the same issue and believe the solenoid is at fault on my rig as well. I have also considered going with a turbomaster and computer work but the computer isn't in the budget right now so I'll probaby just change the solenoid. Let me know how it works out. Oh, I just passed a smog check here in California. If I get a chance I'll stop back by the shop and ask if the computer programming will cause it to fail.
    how did you pass a smog check with a gutted out cat?
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    The test probably doesn't look for NO2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    The test probably doesn't look for NO2
    It doesn't. The test consists of a visual inspection (all listed components according to the VIN must be present and "appear" to be working) and a happy computer. Smoke will fail.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    It's mostly a visual check and check for computer codes. $50.00

I'm also wondering if anything did get done to the cat when the engine was changed 50K ago. I had mentioned doing it but I think we ran out of time. Nothing looks disturbed at the cat. I might wait until I move back to the midwest before doing any mods or upgrades just so I don't have to worry about it. Hopefully a move will come in a year or so.
    1999 K2500 Suburban 6.5 190,000
    2007 Navistar engine from Penninsular Engines , Boost & Pyro Gauges @138K.
    Remote DTECH bumper mounted FSD @197K.

Future mods: 4" exhaust, Heath ECU

Other rides

-2004 TDI Jetta-43MPG

If you go wityh the Computer upgrade, you need a free flowing exhaust system.

The turbo master and the computer upgrade (reprogram) allow for more boost and more fuel (more power) and the stock exhaust system will be way to restrictive.

If your up and going OK now, wait until t\you can add the exhaust upgrade.

You can do the exhaust without doing the TM and computer, then add afterwards.

check to be sure these components will not violate Cali Smog Laws.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    If you go wityh the Computer upgrade, you need a free flowing exhaust system.

The turbo master and the computer upgrade (reprogram) allow for more boost and more fuel (more power) and the stock exhaust system will be way to restrictive.

If your up and going OK now, wait until t\you can add the exhaust upgrade.

You can do the exhaust without doing the TM and computer, then add afterwards.

check to be sure these components will not violate Cali Smog Laws.
    They will. Any of the above. The visual inspection requires all of the OEM emission system equipment to be present and working (or appear to be working). Computers are more complicated. The best option is to obtain a core PCM and have it programmed (for testing, diagnostic, or off-highway use only. It is unlawful to modify or disable emission system equipment in any way). Swap in the OEM during the test. The converter must "appear" to be present. The actual function (exhaust gas composition) isn't tested.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

DMax,

Which counties are they testing in?? I'm in Santa Clara County and have a 94 and haven't had to test so far. Knocking on wood. . . . Maybe I need to register in Lasen County to be safe. Or am I out of the year range or 8600 gvw get me clear ?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

So far in CA, it's for 1998 models and later. Nothing for earlier models.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

No cat for 8 years..passes every time. CT's test is not a joke either.
    95 Suburban 1500 Bone Stock Orig.
    purchased at 103K from first owner
    new alternator/autozone gold @104K
    re-trannyed with shift kit @107.5K
    new Bilsteins all around @ 127K
    Kennedy exhaust @128k ..zoom!
    new lift pump w/OPS bypass @ 130K
    Kennedy FSD cooler @ 135K
    New IP/Injectors/G-plugs @ 137k
    Another autozone alternator and Optima Reds @ 150K
    Another pump and injectors @157K
    New chain and gears @157K
    HO pump single therm setup @157K (will see what happens)
    Head gasket or worse to be determined...164k
    NEW AM General 6.5 installed and running well! @ 164K!!!!!

I have done 500 km since bypassing the solenoid. Manifold pressure stay around 3-4 psi when full vacuum on the wastegate. Haven't felt any difference in driving, and fuel economy is exactly the same.

--
    P-O