Thread: Diesel conversion - eliminating the fan clutch

Cool Diesel conversion - eliminating the fan clutch

I am planning to install a 6.5 diesel into a Jeep TJ Wrangler. I need all the front to back clearance I can get. Now if I were to eliminate the fan clutch all together and bolt the fan directly to the pulley (I need to add 1/2" spacer to clear the drive belt), I should be able to save about 1-1/2".
    Prior to the 80's all fans were direct coupled. Does anyone know how this would impact fuel milage since I think this is why they were created in the first place? Any other possible implications? I plan on using a 21" Duramax fan.
    Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
    1995 6.5T 4x4 4L80E Trans haules my 5th wheel RV
    Rebuilt engine & Tranny at 220000km
    DSG gear drive & stud girdle
    97 water pump & dual stats
    remote FSD
    Kennedy fan clutch & Dmax fan
    SPA digital gauges - boost, exhaust, trans temp, fuel pressure
    Kennedy 3.5" Exhaust & chip
    Fluidamper & AFE air filter
    Bilstien shocks
    remote Amsoil bypass oil filter
    marine injectors
    31"x12x4" charge air cooler
    DSG Oil cooler
    B&M transmission pan
    Holset HX35W

1988 C2500 6.2 retired with 570000 kms

1997 Jeep TJ with 6.2/6.5 in its future

I think it will put a big dent in your mileage. Besides, as light as a wrangler is, and as potent as that fan is, you might be able to cruise down the highway in neutral and let the fan just pull you along. Given the light weight of the Wrangler, I'd suggest going with an electric fan setup. I know that's anathema around here, but I have had no heating issues whatsoever in my Suburban that I converted to diesel, including a torture test of climbing a grade in the Pocono mountains with the A/C on on a 90 degree day. If you've ever been to Jim Thorpe PA, you'll know the grade I am talking about; it winds around the side of the mountain on a steep climb for about 3 miles. My temperature never exceeded 180*. If you go that route try to find one of the GM "dustbuster" vans at the yard with the 3800 V6 and dual zone A/C. I mounted that monster right inside my fan shroud and it hasn't failed me yet. If it will keep my engine cool pulling my Sub's fat behind up a mountain with both A/C units blasting and a car full of people and kiddie stuff, your wrangler should be a walk in the park.
    1993 Suburban 2wd 6.2L Diesel Conversion "Andromeda":
    3.73:1 gears, THM 700-R4 transmission, and
    J-code 6.2L diesel from a 1984 C2500 Suburban

1996 2wd to 4wd converted Ford F-150 300ci Inline 6 "The Argo" 336,000 miles and climbing

1992 Caprice Wagon 5.0L V8 "Enterprise-D"

"Ah ha ha ha! I swear! Tractors is so dumb!" - Mater

"The Argo? That ridiculous pile of scrap metal!"