Thread: Gauges for a Duramax swap

Default Gauges for a Duramax swap

So I bought a 94 2500 suburban back in December, and drove it till about March/April, when the 6.5 went out. I've been researching my options and I am currently stuck between either doing a P400 or buying a salvage and doing the duramax/allison swap. If I go the Duramax route I want to keep the stock dash in the truck. I also have a 95 Suburban with the 350 and I prefer the 94 dash. So my question, what are people doing for the gauges/cluster? Wiring into the stock cluster, like thefermanator, swapping in the new cluster to the old dash, or is their anybody using all aftermarket gauges? Just trying to get a feel for what's out there and the routes people are going. Thanks in advance

Arrow

You can keep what you've got when doing a D/A conversion. It'll require a set of oil/temp sensors that work with your gauges paired with what the D/A programming requires.

There have been a number of H1 Hummer, marine and a few RV conversions performed where they kept the original gauges. It's all perfectly possible. What you lose is the information provided by the D/A instrument panel, like the DIC (Driver Information Center), warning lights, tachometer, PRNDL display and others... some of which can be a big help in troubleshooting.

If I were doing it this way, I'd get a stand-alone harness/computer kit like that offered by PPE and others that eliminate the OE gauges, security system and factory steering column inputs.

Jim