Thread: Milage difference with B20 BIO

Default Milage difference with B20 BIO

I filled up with B20 BIO or 20% BIO in Lancaster,PA. We were running around without the trailer and I noticed I was getting about 16 mpg as opposed to 17 with ULSD just running around.
    We ran about 120 miles and I topped back off with ULSD and within 10 or so miles I gained back my 1 mpg loss. Now this was via the computer, but it has been pretty accurate. I did hear that BIO lubricates better? Anyone else see any difference in mpg or power running the B20 BIO? Thanks

Default BIO Diesel fuel mileage

Cowboywildbill,

I am on the road most of the year with my 2006, LBZ, pulling my 5th wheel RV and I check my fuel mileage for every tank. I always fill the tank to the top of the filler neck and use a hand held calculator to determine mileage out for fuel in. The MPG numbers are accurate and have been confirmed repeatedly.
    We stopped using the B10 and B20, BIO Diesel two years ago unless there is nothing else available. When pulling the trailer on BIO Diesel the fuel mileage dropps a solid two MPG and without the trailer it drops about one MPG. I can't say for sure but on a hard pull it seems to have a little less power. It is hard to evaluate the power issue when you don't pull the same hills with the same load every day.
    John
    Last edited by CoyleJR; 07-25-2011 at 13:18.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

You will lose mileage burning biodiesel. BD has less btu's than petro diesel and from what I have read, less btu's = less power and less mpg's. My suburban was pretty happy running 20% bio, but it's old and all mechanical. Below 20% BD mpg decreased, but I was making my own fuel so it didn't really matter to me.

And yes, BD does lubricate very well. It is also an excellent solvent and will clean out the gunk left over from burning petro, and plug up your fuel filters.
    '83 K20 Suburban
    N/A 6.2, 700r4 non-lockup, Racor secondary filter
    Overload airbags

Sounds pretty consitent with what I saw. And looking in the owners manual it states not to store it in the tank or park for any extended time, like a month or more due to the moisture build up with Bio. Guess I better buy an extra couple of fuel filters also. Thanks