Thread: Failure to start 10-30 minutes after shutdown

Default Failure to start 10-30 minutes after shutdown

I contacted Jim at Diesel page after exhausting all avenues.HE suggested I mix 5 gallons in the tank with 2 30wgt quarts of oil. I had just filled up so we siphoned off 15 gallons the old fashioned way. After driving to get the engine hot we stopped and tried starting after 10 and 30 minutes it started right up. Previously we had to wait about 40 minutes for cooldown. The problem is worn injection pump and the heat causes expansion and failure to deliver the proper pressure to start. The oil increases the viscosity of the diesel enough to allow it to start. He also suggested when repacing the pump to take it to a certified garage who can set the timing [$3000 instrument]I called the recommended pump dealer U.S.Parts.com and they want $1175 for a new pump and $200 cheaper for a used pump. It makes you wonder what these guys are selling for $650. For $1175 I can live with the problem for a while I'll just keep a supply of 30 wgt. on board. I hope this helps somebody.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

I suggest NOT using engine oil in the fuel, ongoing. It's a great diagnostic tool, but it's formulated to NOT burn. If you plan on using oil for a while, use 2 cycle engine oil. It's formulated to burn, and will have much fewer side effects later on (such as cylinder/valve/ring deposits, burned injector nozzles).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com