Thread: j code intake on c code engine

Default j code intake on c code engine

I have a serious concern I had a very nice running 6.2 c code engine and i mean so nice I have no desire to even put a turbo on it. I found a crack in the intake manifold and the egr was not working properly so i have installed a j code non egr intake my question is this an ok swap It would seem so but I read an artical about removing the egr from these engines that has me concerned I have not yet started the engine but plan to have it running soon is it ok to eliminate the egr on c code heads I was told this morning its not advisable but my local sources stink unless its a cummins.
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

Arrow

The heads won't know or care. The EGR only keeps the EPA happy. Unless you need it there to pass a smog test, it serves no practical purpose.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

well thats how i fell as well I read somewhere that it would suffer on power but it just makes no sense cold air is better for power exhasut gas is not cold air right

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vin82k3500 View Post
    well thats how i fell as well I read somewhere that it would suffer on power but it just makes no sense cold air is better for power exhasut gas is not cold air right
    no smog test for old diesels in northern maine

Arrow

Exhaust gas is not only not cold, it contains burned fuel and much less O2. The purpose of EGR is to cool the exhaust gasses and decrease NOX. It has no function, purpose, or effectiveness on a Diesel, but the EPA likes it. In the end, your truck is so far removed from the original powerplant, you are probably exempt from everything, including helping old ladies cross the street. The only catch is, it can be unlawful to modify the emission system on any vehicle. Your truck didn't have EGR when it was new, if it was equipped with a Diesel (only 1/2 tons had EGR). You're off the hook, in any case.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Cool it did have the j code engine originally it has since had a 4.3 v6 and a 305 and a 350 now the c code engine i have installed was in fact from a half ton 2wd so yes the original engine didnt have egr but this one does but i do want to remove for the obvious reasons as you well understand I did forget to mention the less o2 factor

Your little 6.2 will thank you for removing that nasty EGR.

Not only will it not hurt anything, the loss of that EGR is a good thing.

The EGR intoduces soot in copious quantities into the intake, which sticks to the oil vapor residue that comes in from the CDR (crankcase vent)

All this crap builds up in the intake and forms a nasty sticky sludge in the runners of the intake, on the backside of the valves and such.

If any of this crap thats built up breaks loose and falls into the cylinder it can cause damage.

I have seen heavy carbon buildup from the EGR soot thats fallen into a cylinder and then it gets trapped on top of the piston and pounds the thing to pieces.

There is only about .045" clearance between the crown of the piston and the head in one of these engines. A chunk of carbon can be a lot thicker, sooooooooo, all around the EGR is a bad deal.

Enjoy the J code intake, your engine will.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The intake runners on my Suburban were constricted to about 50% due to the carbon from the EGR. Instead of installing a C code intake manifold, I cut / chipped out the EGR center piece and plugged up the hole in the center. I then chipped out all the carbon crud from the runners.

There are two different J code intakes, one is a single plane and the other is a dual plane.

The prefered one is the single plane unit.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    There are two different J code intakes, one is a single plane and the other is a dual plane.

The prefered one is the single plane unit.

Missy
    Could you take the web out and convert it to a single plane unit?

I have the j code intake from my original engine and it is in fact the single plane and more good advice i figured that was how all that soot got into that intake there is no need or reason for that junk to be in a place were only clean air belongs

Air flow is funny stuff and a lot of design work goes into these manifolds to get optimal flow. I would say, leave what is there alone.

If you have a dual plane, use it as is.

These were designed to produce power at different RPM levels and to mess around with the divider could make a real mess of the air flow characteristics.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY