Thread: LB7 cranks a LONG time before starting

Default LB7 cranks a LONG time before starting

The dealership, Scoggin Dickey in Lubbock TX just replaced my injectors and injector pump, on the LB7 that has 232,000 miles on it due to the dreaded while cloud in exhaust at idle. Four injectors 1,8,6, & 7 were bad, and upon inspection, the rail showed possible metal contamination possibly from the CP3, so it was replaced as well because I am back in for repairs now after having the injectors done at 186,000 miles. 46,000 on a set is not good, IMO.

Prior to the work being done, you could turn the key to start and about two turns of the motor and it started....rer, rer start...it has always been like that.

Now with the new injectors and injector pump, turn the key and it turns over for about 10 seconds before starting.
    rer rer rer rer...ad naseaum for up to 15 seconds, then start...
    after starting it runs fine going down the road.
    They warned me it was taking longer to start and said it was probably "air" in the fuel lines someplace that would work its way out.
    Further, I now have some surge at idle....not so much noticeable on the tach but to the ear it is quite noticeable.

Not so sure I buy that "air" excuse for the slow start...and I don't know about the surging at all.

I am an insurance agent, not a mechanic at all....so, anyone here have a clue as to why it is so slow to start?
    or why it now surges?

Thanks for your input!
    2002 HD2500 Duramax Allison Crew Cab 4x4

I would suggest adding a lift pump for starters as this will ensure that there are no "air" issues and also help the longevity of the fuel system. I'd also suggest that you read this:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...20Failures.pdf
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default Fixed

Diagnosed and fixed.
    Bad rubber hose connection not tight between fuel filter and CP3 allowing the bleed back to occur.
    Just to be safe rubber hose was replaced. Now behaves perfectly.
    2002 HD2500 Duramax Allison Crew Cab 4x4