Thread: Is catalytic converter necessary on 2001 in Arizona?

Default Is catalytic converter necessary on 2001 in Arizona?

Hi, I just sold my California truck to a person in Mesa, Az. It never had a cat from the factory and they are telling him over there that it has to have one. Can anybody give me some accurate info? I need it quickly. Thanks,

Ray

1) Start a new thread for a new topic...
    2) Who is "they"?
    3) The emissions sticker under the hood, if it's still there. There may be a copy in the owner's manual. "They" should be able to look it up based on the VIN.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

Absolutely NO cat on 2001 CA trucks. Requiring a cat on a non-cat truck would be illegal, in that it would be modifying the existing system, currently in compliance. 2002 and later CA emission Duramax trucks need a cat, but NOT 2001.

As John said, if the emission system sticker under the hood does not state it has a cat, it had no cat when new. The VIN will also indicate which emission category it has to comply (but I don't remember which digit).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for your help here. I'm sorry for the way I phrased the question. It does leave something to be desired. Anyway, the problem has been resolved. It was a bogus inspection station attendant that was giving the new owner of my truck a hard time. Anyway, I was just trying to diffuse the situation. Thanks again for your help,.

Ray

Arrow

No problem. We usually get it all figured out before someone blows a gasket.

I understand the smog inspection BS. We just started Diesel inspections here, and I've had to "educate" a couple inspectors.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I had a bit of fun with a State Trooper in Georgia a few years back. Georgia had emission stickers on the windshield at that time. I was driving my 1998 Suburban 6.5 and he pulled me over for no sticker. It was a hot summer day on the side of I285 in Atlanta. When he handed me the ticket to sign I asked what it was for. He said no emissions sticker. I told him it was a diesel (there was a lot of traffic going by and you couldn't hear the 6.5 idling) and it didn't require one and handed the unsigned ticket back to him. He walked up to the front, bent over to listen. When he walked back by the window he literally threw my license at me and said "you can go".
    It was a great day after that.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06