Thread: Hess Gas Station Mislabeled LSD

Default Hess Gas Station Mislabeled LSD

I am new to the diesel world. I just bought a 2012 Mercedes Diesel and went to fill up for the first time today at a local Hess gas station. On the diesel pump it had a sticker which said that the fuel was Low Sodium Diesel and not meant for cars made after 2007. BTW, this is a brand new station - just opened in the last month and is on a crowded state highway in suburban Boston.

I am totally confused because everything I have read says that all diesel fuel meant for cars and trucks must be ULSD after December 2010.

So my question is whether this is mislabeling or whether this gas station can still really be selling Low Sodium Diesel?

The Hess website provides no insight.

Thanks for any help!

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

First off, a tank or two of low "sulfur" Diesel won't hurt any of the modern Diesels. I don't suggest making a habit of it. You should be feeding that pony with ULSD, Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. If you don't find a local answer, I'd suggest fueling elsewhere in the future.

That said, I wasn't aware that LSD (the fuel) was available to the public anywhere anymore. All the fuel should be ULSD. No new stations should be carrying LSD. The labeling you found indicates otherwise, but I'd be skeptical. In any case, get your fuel somewhere else until you can be sure.

If it is, in fact, low sodium Diesel, the FDA, HHS, and Surgeon General should be pleased.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Multitasking

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    If it is, in fact, low sodium Diesel, the FDA, HHS, and Surgeon General should be pleased.
    I cannot believe I wrote low sodium. Maybe I thought my car was getting bloated . Multitasking at work.

As for low sulfur, according to the EPA website, for automotive purposes it was outlawed in Decembef 2010. So, like you, I am skeptical that a gas station in metro Boston would carry anything other than ULSD. From what i read, almost all refineries have moved to ULSD This particular station is the most convenient. I will go in to talk to them tomorrow.