Thread: I know this is a wild shot in the dark....

Default I know this is a wild shot in the dark....

But does anyone know this Suburban and more importantly who did the conversion.... http://www.texas-exclusive.com/inven...rolet-Suburban
    I think this conversion can make it through the California mine trap of diesel conversions...checking around I've found the engine and transmission reasonably priced...it's just a matter of finding someone reliable in or around Los Angeles or if reasonable ship it to someone who can perform the work, and not get stuck with a money pit / slash horror story...one in particular I heard is of someone spending 12k and couldn't stop the leaks....

Thanks is advance....

There are a couple of companies that do these conversions. Do a web search and they'll pop up. Not cheap though. Basically, they have to buy a doner vehicle to scam ALL the parts off of. You have to pay for that truck too!
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Isn't it the case that you always have to buy a donor vehicle if you want all the parts and everything to work.

When I do a conversion I want everything to work as close to OEM as possible...I considered just buying a engine and a transmission....but digging down and doing the research...it appears there's a lot of knick knack parts you need to have...to bring it close to home...

But looking at some of these conversion places, while I understand there's a lot of work involved it seems the pricing is a bit over the top in mostly all cases for what's being done, but then again if you want it professionally done with no leaks and everything working, I guess you gotta pay the piper...

Arrow

www.socaldiesel.com and www.pacificp.com have both performed conversions in southern California. I've spoken to a couple who bought conversions from them. These are complex conversions. Expect to work through a couple minor issues once you take possession, but none that can't be resolved.

Even if someone gave you an engine/trans, you'd spend nearly the same as a salvage vehicle would cost to get everything you'd need - if you bought all of the other bits and pieces over the counter at your local GM dealer. A salvage vehicle has them all (that aren't damaged), and having the vehicle helps with part location/installation.

There have been a few "packages" sold through the past few years on eBay and other ad sites that were advertised as having everything. A couple of these packages were truly great deals. Just hard to find... I should have bought a couple of them...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    www.socaldiesel.com and www.pacificp.com have both performed conversions in southern California. I've spoken to a couple who bought conversions from them. These are complex conversions. Expect to work through a couple minor issues once you take possession, but none that can't be resolved.

Even if someone gave you an engine/trans, you'd spend nearly the same as a salvage vehicle would cost to get everything you'd need - if you bought all of the other bits and pieces over the counter at your local GM dealer. A salvage vehicle has them all (that aren't damaged), and having the vehicle helps with part location/installation.

There have been a few "packages" sold through the past few years on eBay and other ad sites that were advertised as having everything. A couple of these packages were truly great deals. Just hard to find... I should have bought a couple of them...

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim, I called SocalDiesel and they told me they don't do conversions, they just provides parts basically....PacificP sort of the same thing they just provide harnesses, however the guy at PaciciP did have a referral available of someone who did do the conversions...I'm going to secure the vehicle first and get back to him on that, I asked him about converting a Ford Excursion because I came across a very cheap one he seems to be under the impression he can put a Duramax and Allison in, which he says he can get for me...so we shall see...

Arrow

The more prominent companies, like those mentioned, don't advertise conversions because of the problem that could arise from the EPA and other state regulators. Companies advertising conversions are considered "vehicle manufacturers" according to the law, and must comply with all state/federal regulations - both vehicle safety and emissions regulations. Small conversion operators have been shut down in the past by the EPA. All this can bury a relatively small operator with more paperwork, civil liability and certification expense than they could ever hope to recoup through an occasional sale. This, in part, is why a really good coversion is expensive, and is why some of the conversions are offered for sale in less regulated states.

Individuals are much less constrained. The owners take responsibility for liability and emissions regulations. And, the EPA and state regulators are far less concerned with an owner conversion (one of one). This is why I recommend people attempt it themselves. Get it far enough along so the major conversion aspect is done by the owner, then seek technical help if they need it. Get the engine/trans sitting in the chassis. I know of a couple of conversions that were done this way - began by the owner, completed by a commercial shop. This relieves the company of paperwork and liability, and they just charge their shop rate for the technical services to complete it.

I mentioned SoCal because one of our members bought a mid 2000's Duramax Suburban that was assembled by an employee of SoCal. They have the expertise - so does PPE. They're not cheap, usually, but there is an occasional good deal out there.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    The more prominent companies, like those mentioned, don't advertise conversions because of the problem that could arise from the EPA and other state regulators. Companies advertising conversions are considered "vehicle manufacturers" according to the law, and must comply with all state/federal regulations - both vehicle safety and emissions regulations. Small conversion operators have been shut down in the past by the EPA. All this can bury a relatively small operator with more paperwork, civil liability and certification expense than they could ever hope to recoup through an occasional sale. This, in part, is why a really good coversion is expensive, and is why some of the conversions are offered for sale in less regulated states.

Individuals are much less constrained. The owners take responsibility for liability and emissions regulations. And, the EPA and state regulators are far less concerned with an owner conversion (one of one). This is why I recommend people attempt it themselves. Get it far enough along so the major conversion aspect is done by the owner, then seek technical help if they need it. Get the engine/trans sitting in the chassis. I know of a couple of conversions that were done this way - began by the owner, completed by a commercial shop. This relieves the company of paperwork and liability, and they just charge their shop rate for the technical services to complete it.

I mentioned SoCal because one of our members bought a mid 2000's Duramax Suburban that was assembled by an employee of SoCal. They have the expertise - so does PPE. They're not cheap, usually, but there is an occasional good deal out there.

Jim

Ok, that explains a lot...I don't have the space / nor expertise to to do a tear down and install of a host truck never-mind a donor especially if fabrication or modification needs to be done....so I'll have to figure something out...

I'm expecting it to be expensive, but I'd rather do this then pay some of the exorbitant prices I'm seeing for low mile diesel SUV's....at least this way I have some idea of what I have....and it'll be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one....

I see where a guy put in a what's called a HPRC, I think in a Excursion....it's a 30 page forum read maybe I'll pick up some ideas from that...

This is not as simple as I thought it would be I'm going to have to do a lot more research and develop a strategy....

I've been wanting to do a 2007+ 2500 Duramax Suburban (the newest body style) for a while now - for a writing project... Just saying...