Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM's Cruze Diesel

Arrow GM's Cruze Diesel

Cruze Diesel Will Build on GM’s Euro Expertise

U.S. engine being co-developed with diesel center of excellence in Torino, Italy

2012-02-21

DETROIT – When it comes to developing a diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze for the U.S. market to be introduced in 2013, General Motors powertrain engineers have been there and done that – half a million times last year alone.

The Cruze dieselwill leverage global powertrain expertise that has helped make GM’s fuel-efficient diesel engines popular options around the world.
    GM sold more than half a million diesel-powered cars across Europe, Asia, Africa and South America last year, including 33,000 Cruzes. The introduction of a diesel option for Cruze – one of the top-selling gasoline-powered cars in the United States in 2011 – is expected to fuel GM’s diesel car sales success.

Diesel engines have long been known for their fuel efficiency and power. Due to a higher compression rate in the engine cylinders and greater density of energy in diesel fuel itself, diesel-powered engines are able to produce more power per gallon than gasoline-powered engines.

For Cruze, powertrain engineers at GM’s diesel center of excellence in Torino, Italy, are working daily with counterparts in Pontiac, Mich., to develop a world-class engine that delivers outstanding fuel efficiency and torque while providing a smooth, quiet ride. In addition, GM engineers in Russelsheim, Germany, are supporting the program by developing the accessory drive, acoustic cover and other specialized components.

“The market for diesel cars in the U.S. is small at present, but is expected to grow due to Corporate Average Fuel Economy requirements and expected increases in gas prices,” said Mike Omotoso, powertrain analyst at LMC Automotive. “So far, the German automakers haven’t had any diesel car competition in North America. GM could do well with it, particularly with younger buyers who don’t have the old prejudices against diesel.”

Future Cruze diesel engine development will benefit from GM’s recent commitment to invest 20 million Euros ($26.5 million) to add five new dynamic benches at its Torino facility for climatic, noise and vibration and chassis dynamometer testing. These additions will speed development time.

“U.S. customers are going to be pleasantly surprised when they get a chance to drive the Chevrolet Cruze diesel,” said Mike Siegrist, 2.0L diesel assistant chief engineer. “Our global team is providing diesel engineering expertise that will give U.S. Cruze customers great quality, torque and fuel economy in a car that’s both fun to drive and practical at the pump.”

Climatic tests simulate temperatures ranging from -40 degrees Fahrenheit (-40 degrees Celsius) up to (158 F) (70 C) and altitudes as high as 10,000 feet (3000 meters). Noise and vibration tests help minimize engine vibro-acoustic response. Chassis dynamometer tests measure emissions.

“We’re able to put the diesel engines through rigorous testing to ensure they operate optimally under a wide range of conditions and also can be integrated seamlessly into the production vehicle,” said Pierpaolo Antonioli, managing director of the Torino Powertrain and Engineering Center. “We’ve pushed these engines in the labs so that the customer can depend on them in real-world driving situations.”

The latest generation of GM diesels has resolved drawbacks associated with the previous engines. Precisely controlled direct-injection fuel systems create a smooth-running engine. Particulate-capturing filtration systems dramatically reduce tailpipe emissions.

“In terms of outward appearances, the difference between the diesel and gasoline engine is going to be difficult to discern,” Siegrist said. “GM’s advanced technologies provide a seamless transition from a gasoline to a diesel car. You get the benefits of the fuel economy and power while preserving a smooth, quiet ride.”

General Motors (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM), one of the world’s largest automakers, traces its roots General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) and its partners produce vehicles in 30 countries, and the company has leadership positions in the world's largest and fastest-growing automotive markets. GM’s brands include Chevrolet and Cadillac, as well as Baojun, Buick, GMC, Holden, Isuzu, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling. More information on the company and its subsidiaries, including OnStar, a global leader in vehicle safety, security and information services, can be found at http://www.gm.com.

###

Great news.

When? I'll buy one to replace my daughters "high mile" Jetta TDI - that is still worth about $6K private party in good condition with 150K rounds, 42mpg highway.

(If they actually ship in 2013, I'll be amazed.)
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 02-22-2012 at 11:32.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Does anyone think it's strange that they waited till diesel was selling for 20% more than gas, in most areas of the continent, before they finally listened to us and started producing diesel cars again?

"The truth is out there"

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Tested only to -40? Shoot let me try one for the winter and you'll know it's good to -60.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Why pray tell does Crysler get the new 3 liter VM Moteri and GM gets stuck with the old 4 banger? Would someone please convince GM to make a respectable 1/2 ton diesel that isn't saddled with a outer wrapper the size of a Freightliner.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    Why pray tell does Crysler get the new 3 liter VM Moteri and GM gets stuck with the old 4 banger? Would someone please convince GM to make a respectable 1/2 ton diesel that isn't saddled with a outer wrapper the size of a Freightliner.

Bill
    Let GM Customer Service know.They now have 2 people to help Dieselpage members faster
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post

Bill
    You'll have to ask the EPA for permission, first.
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Still waiting for G.M. Customer Service to answer a question since the middle of april .

OIL BURN

Quote Originally Posted by OIL BURN View Post
    Still waiting for G.M. Customer Service to answer a question since the middle of april .

OIL BURN
    Yea real bad on their part.
    They come in with a big promise to serve the forum better with two people,then vanish into thin air.
    I'm finding more examples of people not keeping thier word,seems some people tend to forget that a person is only as good as their word.
    Oh well welcome to the 21st century.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

diesel cruze,$28,500 cdn,..OOf!!

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Drove one the other day. Jetta killer for sure. Hope they sell a bunch of these great little cars.

Other than the no manual trans option... what a stupid decision... idiots

Quote Originally Posted by 6.2flatbed View Post
    Other than the no manual trans option... what a stupid decision... idiots
    One more example of government controlling the people.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

I don't know what to think about the Cruze.

More than a decade ago, GM had turn-key access to two V-6 high-pressure common rail Isuzu diesels that were already in subsidiary passenger car production in Europe. The Vs were either 60 degrees or 90 degrees, depending on whether the engine was intended for a front wheel drive or rear (whether the engine needed to sit sideways upfront). A narrower V allowed for more underhood clearance.

At the time, I did a story for Truck Trend magazine about the bright future of light-duty diesels that discussed the Isuzu diesels and others. Called the "Delta", Detroit Diesel had developed a new high-pressure common-rail V-6 diesel for Chrysler that was superb, and would work in both SUV and light-truck platforms. The modular engine could also be stretched into a V-8. Ford was also working on a V-6 diesel for its SUV & light-truck platforms. None of those preliminary developments made it to production, and all those design & development costs were wasted.

As a result, I still don't know whether the auto companies simply lost confidence in the consumer diesel market, if stricter EPA emissions regulations made the programs too expensive, or if there was an unknown-to-the-public national gasoline/diesel fuel production policy (either government or petroleum industry) in place that discouraged more diesel fuel use here in North America.

Somehow, through all this, VW marched forward with its highly popular line of diesel powered cars. Makes little sense to me. Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 08-15-2013 at 11:45.

Last July we made the choice to shop for a new car...
    Drove the Cruse diesel
    Drove the Jetta TDI
    looked at other gassers..
    And then looked at the cruse again, but $26,000 for a tiny car...
    Drove the Passat TDI.. and fell in LOVE
    We average 58MPG highway 45 city $28K out the door
    Bought a Ross-tech.com cable, enabled the "EURO ONLY" features and haven't looked back!

Seen and herd the Duramax a full year before they were built!

Arrow

Wife and I are looking at the same thing. Passat will probably win. Please explain the "Euro Only" features.....
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

First drive of the Cruze tells me it's a neat little car. Heck even the gasser has zip and MPG. Local dealer just landed their first Cruze and I picked up last night for an extended demo. They put this one in their fleet/rental program so they OK'd an extended test drive for a trip to visit a sick relative in the Cities.

Initial impressions are that it's a well built car albeit quite small. I think the responsiveness of both the gas and diesel Cruze could actually stand to be "dumbed down" believe it or not. The response is a bit punchy and more like I would set up an aggressive perf tune. Wish my LML had that sort of response. I really have to wonder about putting the same powertrain in a Malibu or Impala, or maybe a small pickup. It sure seems like it's got the beans to do it.

We'll see how it does on MPG...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default Trip report

Beginning miles on car when picked up 68. Driven home from Gross Motors Neillsville to Loyal and trip odometer and fuel records reset for trip.

Loyal WI to MSP downtown and back via US Hwy 29 and I94. Winds very moderate from the east.

Trip miles 298.3

Trip avg 45.9mpg
    Trip avg speed 58.1mph
    Best 50 miles 53.0mpg
    Best 25 miles 54.4 mpg

Total odometer on car presently stands at 383 miles with overall avg 43.7mpg

When I received the car it had about 3/8 tank on the gauge. I drove it the 20 mile or so home and it settled in just above 1/4 tank. I put in 10.5 gallons to fill until my pump quit. It now has about 5/8 tank.

Since it is not my car and I am only required to return with 1/4 tank I definitely overshot my fueling target and I don't plan to refill. I'll trust the DIC to do the math for me.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

sorry for the slow response dmax, the euro only features I enabled are:
    1. Hazards come on when the abs activates
    2. Rain sensing wipers (us cars have them disabled)
    3. Windows and sunroof auto close in rain, feature disabled for north America child safety

Here is the discussion of more features
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=351152
    Seen and herd the Duramax a full year before they were built!