Thread: making bio diesel. which processor to use??

Default making bio diesel. which processor to use??

I have been doing quite a lot of re search on making Bio diesel. Does anyone out there have any tips and/or reccomendations on a processor to use? I'd like to make around 20-25to gallons at a time. Thanks guys
    1991 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 6.2L. 125,000 miles -Sold

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LBZ - R.I.P

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LB7-- Sold

2011 GMC Sierra, LML- 39,000 miles. All stock

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/2887934572.html

These work very well, although the one in the link is way too expensive. But with the 2 tanks, 2 55gal drums, and a pump you can make your own. I have not looked, but I bet there are some plans on the 'net.
    '83 K20 Suburban
    N/A 6.2, 700r4 non-lockup, Racor secondary filter
    Overload airbags

Quote Originally Posted by lmholmes11 View Post
    I have been doing quite a lot of re search on making Bio diesel. Does anyone out there have any tips and/or reccomendations on a processor to use? I'd like to make around 20-25to gallons at a time. Thanks guys
    It all depends on your comfort level and mechanical abilities. You can cobble one together using an old water heater, steel tanks etc. but you really have to get the chemistry right. It isn't hard, sort of like cooking with dangerous chemicals, but it does take a certain amount of patience and the understanding that it is nigh on impossible to make ASTM quality fuel this way.

If your not into the building or chemistry, or flat out just don't have the time, spend the money and get a "Bio-Pro" made by the Springboard Company out of California. Yes it's costly but extremely well made and doesn't require more than a rudimentary knowledge of the process. Over the years it has proven itself to be safe and reliable. Good tech service as well.

Just pour in the waste oil and chemicals, close it up and push the start button. Come back 24 hours later and drain out the glycerin, push the wash button and 24 hours after that you have a batch of ASTM fuel (most of the time).

There are a bunch of people out ther flogging systems, but for the most part, you can duplicate their product for 1/8 of the money with off the shelf bits yourself. Don't waste your money, especially for a system that uses plastic tanks!!!! Not a question of if, its a question of when they will fail and in many cases they blow up or light up. Safety cannot be stressed more here. You are working with stuff that goes boom and the process creates the perfect environment for it to do just that.

Brew yourself a large pot of coffee, allocate at least four nights to research and log onto:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

Really difficult forum to navigate but if you can weed through the BS, and the self important so-called gurus, there is alot of good info on the site about doing it yourself.

I built my own 8 years ago and processed maybe 20,000 liters through it over the years. None of it ASTM, but good enough for 100,000 miles on a used 6.2 with few issues. Made it mostly to heat my house. If I ever get back into it again, will definitely dig deep and get a Bio-Pro. Anything else isn't worth the time and resources needed.

Hope this helps.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)