Thread: grumble grumble grumble

Default grumble grumble grumble

No - not just me before coffee in the morning, the sound and vibrations that started buzzing up through my feet and the steering wheel last week!

Thought it was going to be a left front wheel bearing, but it turned out to be the frontmost U-joint.

It must have been failing over time, really sneaking up on me, because the drive home frome the dealership ($250 installed) was the quietest and smoothest this truck has felt forever...one gets used to a different and crummy ride in the winter with hard cold tires and a 700# plow hanging off the front of the truck.

Like a new ride!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Haven't had a u-joint fail in a Dmax truck, but through the years I've had to replace several in other vehicles. With them, the rear driveline's front-most joint seemed to fail soonest, and I noticed a vibration problem at speeds somewhere between 45 and 65. The vibration was a lot less noticeable above and below those speeds. Seems the joint would true itself at higher speeds to correct for an imbalance.

How many miles did you get out of the original joint? I assume lots of hard towing miles...

Jim

Now Daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge
    Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge

Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
    Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside

Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
    I still remember that grumblin' sound...

I don't think I have ever had a u-joint go south on me. Glad you got yours before it made a mess under the truck!
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L