Thread: Re. trailer tires vs. truck tires, JFWIW.

Default Re. trailer tires vs. truck tires, JFWIW.

Heard from a friend from SD, who winter's in the same park as us, down in Brownsville. They left the park early, and take their usual trip out through Az and and around clockwise back home, later on, the same folks that we visited in Sioux Falls on the way home.
    They had two flats, doing that trip home this Spring! Trailer tires. With body damage, too, both sides of the trailer!
    Got me to thinking about my truck tires that have been on my trailer since Spring, 09, rotated twice, now, and over-due again. So, I went into my maintenance/fuel log, in the truck console, and went back and checked my begining and ending mileages for every time we've pulled up stakes and trailered since putting on the BFG Commercial TA's -225 -85-16, LR -E's. Turns out, I've got a little over 29,000 miles on those tires and, though I haven't measured the tread depth, they look like new, with one exception, which I'll get to. Thing is, that's really something, compared to the two sets of load range E trailer tires that I went through in 07 and 08!
    The exception? My right front has a bulge, starting at the bead, and going up the side-wall, showing a little radius at the wheel flange, which is how I spotted it. The bulge is about 1 inch wide and about 3 inches long from the bead out. I found it about 200 miles from home, and came along without any incident, but I'll get to see what can be done about warantee, but I ain't complaining if nothing comes of it.
    So, like I've said on here, several times, I'll never put another trailer tire on a trailer, if I live to tow another 200K miles! And, my SD friend is all over this info, looking to make the up-grade before he heads for Texas again. Thought this might be of interest to someone.
    Last edited by DickWells; 06-02-2012 at 17:02.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

You are right on Dick. My BFG Commercials show almost no wear after about 35,000 miles of trailering. No bulge on mine. Where did you get yours. Discount Tire gave me a lifetime warranty certificate on mine for wear since is on a trailer. I've been told that they don't do this anymore......we will see if something happens.

I went through two sets of trailer tires before switching a fought flats every year while running them. Have not had a flat or problem since switching in 4 years.

Discount/America's Tire have treated me very well.....................
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!

I checked our tires before heading out here to Boise. I was going to replace them but only found two brands and they were both from China.

While sitting in camp this weekend one of the club members said that I had tires from 01 and asked why. Now, when i looked at them there was no date code that I could find. He pointed right to it for me. The bad thing is now I look at then and they are starting to check in a couple of places.

Now is my delima. I still have only two choices for replacements. But from China and the only place that will order them is Tire Factory and it will be at least three weeks but more like 5. That is for the crap ST ones. I have tried all the other shops, small and shwabs and they won't even order anything let alone show them in their systems. Now begins the search for wheels in the 15" range and to get rid of the 14" wheels bought new in 01 by the original owner.

I wander if I could find a light truck tire in the LR C in 14"? I bet not.
    2004 Chevy K3500 CCLB DRW Duramax. Stock.

1992 Sea Ray 300DA. 30 plus foot Express Cruiser on a trailer. 13,500# boat and trailer and 69' of combined length rolling. Over length/width permitted load.

SOLD-95 GMC K2500 SLE 6.5L TD, Relocated PMD to bumper #9 res., Custom Lowes special induction tube, Triple gauges on the pillar EGT, Trans, Boost, High Idle Mod, TCC-Lock up Mod, Custom Back up camera, DIY Manual Wastegate Controller, 4" from down tube to 5" stacks, Vac Pump Removed,2007 wheels, WMI by Cooling Mist 8gph @3psi 11gph on demand

Quote Originally Posted by jhornsby3 View Post
    I checked our tires before heading out here to Boise. I was going to replace them but only found two brands and they were both from China.

While sitting in camp this weekend one of the club members said that I had tires from 01 and asked why. Now, when i looked at them there was no date code that I could find. He pointed right to it for me. The bad thing is now I look at then and they are starting to check in a couple of places.

Now is my delima. I still have only two choices for replacements. But from China and the only place that will order them is Tire Factory and it will be at least three weeks but more like 5. That is for the crap ST ones. I have tried all the other shops, small and shwabs and they won't even order anything let alone show them in their systems. Now begins the search for wheels in the 15" range and to get rid of the 14" wheels bought new in 01 by the original owner.

I wander if I could find a light truck tire in the LR C in 14"? I bet not.
    There are not many options for 14". I ran into the same thing with my car dolly a while back. The car I was hauling on it was way too heavy for the 14" tires on the car dolly and I went a little too fast down a hill (62 mph) and the tire exploded due to getting too hot. I was able to get slightly heavier duty 14" tires but they were not easy to come by. Anyways, if you can upgrade to 15" tires, there are a lot more options out there. However, the most popular size truck tire right now is 17". The tire place I shop at told me that 16" is slowly phasing out.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Sure hope they aren't phasing out the 16's. I went out of my way to buy American Eagle wheels, just to get from 15's, and, to get away from the peeling and rust problems. Doubt there's anything to worry about, what with all the millions of 16 inch wheels on the road.
    Both 14 and 15's are hard to find good, rugged truck tires for, but it can be done. Good luck.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.