Thread: going to see a man about a horse, err 94 2500 with blown trans

Default going to see a man about a horse, err 94 2500 with blown trans

Supposedly it runs which will be a deal breaker if it doesent.
    Looking for
    blow by
    knocks
    clacks
    crappy oil
    turbo slop
    smoke on start or accel

anything im missing?
    ill check this before i get there about an hrs drive 1200 for the whole truck is his asking, i'm not going above 950?
    any suggest?

Mark!

deteriorated rubber in the damper or the crank pulley.

A bad damper imparts significant loads on the crank and, by extension, the lower end of the block.

Check for an upper rad hose that pressurizes or bubble sin the coolant tank.

Either could indicate a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder/head.

You're just after the long block if I recall, right?

A little blowby when removing the oil fill cap is relatively safe. If it's puffing out the oil dipstick tube with the dipstick still in, walk away.....
    1998 k2500

well I hit all my points and yours good sir and couldn't seem to close the deal. He offered first at a grand I countered at 700, He stood firm and I re offered at 850. He held at 900 and I walked. The motor fired up little to no smoke, +1, no knocks +1, no clacks (like my first fiasco) +1, irregular ticking noise right side rear of engine (same location of clacking from first fiasco) -20 (still dont know what the heck it is/was), SEL on and stored after having no battery in it for "months" (kicked self at not bringing a scan tool) -1, injector return lines not insulated and looked sort of hokey like sombody made a napa run and got vacum line, not a big deal, but indicative of sombody not doing good researched work - 1 scary, ? anybody been into this engine at all? answer "Nope" I could see bright blue rtv squeezing out around timing cover - 1 and sort of a deal breaker right there, I felt that rightly or wrongly he may have been less that truthful and therefore the rest of it was a bit suspect.

I'm willing to walk out on a limb and plunk a grand down on a motor that sounds perfect (this one was close but the ticking really made me think about if it turned into clacking I'd be pissed at myself), No codes, appears to have been worked on competently. So I couldn't go higher for what I could get by parting and scrapping it which would be the end result if it all went to pot.

Should I go back in a week and offer the 900 or let it lie and hope somthing drops in my lap. I'm getting laid off in Oct unless things change so i'm running against time soon. The idea is get me a truck I can tow a reasonable camper or enclosed trailer to move/house my family while I look for work here or in other states.

Due to the RTV and the owner telling you that nothing had been done, I would PASS for sure, not worth taking the chance IMO.

The ticking you hear could be a exhaust leak maybe.....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook