Thread: 1993 turbo, A/C compressor

Default 1993 turbo, A/C compressor

1993 K30 6.5 turbo. some times the A/C compressor will not engage the clutch.. it has full charge. when i pull the plug on compressor and measure voltage I get 13.5... when I plug it back in I get 0 .I check ohms of coil I get 3.5 ohms. I jumped coil with 12 volts from plus battery terminal.. compressor started working and stayed working .. coil voltage is 11.5 volts with a 14.1 battery voltage when running. I think I am getting a voltage drop some where , in series , in the circuit.. is there a compressor relay ? or is the power to the clutch coil go thru the A/C control in the dash?

Arrow

The circuit goes through the dash control head (fused, ign/acc leg), to a relay, to the coil. Your voltage drop is too much, even with the (anemic) small wire. You're losing voltage, somewhere. Probably a connector (or several) at some point. Heat makes them worse, and we seldom worry about the A/C when it isn't hot.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Low ressure switch is where I would start. On early trucks GM had teh bright idea of running the compressor power through the low pressure switch instead of using teh switch to trigger teh relay.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.