Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black smoke?

Default Black smoke?

So ive read tons of stuff on the 6.5 smoking, possible causes, exhaust leaks, turbo problems, boost problems.....ive noticed mines been smoking pretty heavy on hard accelleration, when it cruises at a set speed (any speed) no smoke. And it clears up a little once its in motion but still accellerating... the part that gets me is it sputters a little if i hit the pedal hard whilst dumping the smoke.... is there any way to test the turbo without a boost guage? vac pump is brand new and i cant seem to find the problem
    1994 Ext Cab C2500 6.5T, the begginning of my dive into the world of diesels
    3" Straight pipe, sets car alarms off...who woulda thought?

For a cheap boost guage, one of those vacuum/boost guages for a temp guage.

Have you checked vacuum at the turbo ind of line? Cleaned electrical connections at the boost regulator on the left valve cover?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

could a dirty airfilter cause turbo lag maybe? i checked for pre turbo exhaust leaks, nothing there. It has a 3" straight pipe which should be plenty of flow for the turbo. vac pump is good, turbo recently had new bearings put in. with a higher flow cone intake and straight pipe i feel i should hear the turbo, I know they are loud whistlers but no noise at all...could this be a sign?

yes it could.... you should check the vac hose going to the turbo and make sure it isn't cracked or broken.. just because you have a good vac pump doesn't mean the lines aren't broken, and you can't really depend on the sound of the turbo, a gauge will be much a better tool to use. Have you changed fuel filters lately ???
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

I got a new fuel filter to install this week when i have time and i replaced the airfilter.

Is there a how too on a boost guage anywhere? Obviously I want to do this on a budget :/

Generally, the preferred spot for a sensor is in the manifold, just below the turbo. If you search for "boost gauge" (or similar) you'll get a TON of reading material that will help you. Select "6.5 forum" for better results with the search.

Does your intake have a black, plastic tube that connects into the intake rubber? If so, you really won't hear much whistle with that in there. Remove it and plug the hole.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 09-06-2012 at 10:30. Reason: clarification
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

thats an oil catch can that the tube connects too correct? Im able to delete that?

Yes, you can delete it. But, no, it's not an oil catch can. It's only job is to quiet the sound of the turbo. Think of it as a turbo muffler.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

That can is pluged into the valve cover at the other end

Also, the are that controls boost from the vaccum, when i move it back and forth while the truck is off it makes a hissing sound, and when the truck is idleing it remains pulled back towards the rear of the truck, if i pulle it forward it stays there, if i push it back it stays there, is this normal for the vaccum operated wastegate?

You really shouldn't be able to move the wastegate arm when the engine is running. If so, you likely have either have a bad vac pump or a leaking vac line. Trace the line backwards and look/listen/feel for cracks in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by vsandme View Post
    That can is pluged into the valve cover at the other end
    The tube I'm talking about will run left to right near the fan shroud. Can you post a picture? Maybe we're talking 2 different things.

when i plug the intake from that tube on the intake, what should i do with the end coming out of the valve cover?

Oh, wait, I figured out what you are talking about - that's not up by the fan shroud. You're referring to a "tuna-can" looking thing on the intake? Don't plug that - leave it alone. That recycles oil vapor back into the engine.

Anything by the fan shroud?

theres a snap

Ok, you have an aftermarket set-up, not stock.

That's a pretty small filter. Do you have a bigger one?

But, check the vac line - that would be a good start and likely culprit to the smoke problem (and lack of whistle).

thanks for all the help, I checked the vac lines and cant seem to find any leaks, i pulled the line near the driverside where the sensor is and stuck my finger too it, it wad very light suction, i may have to make a turbo master to solve this problem, vac pump is brand new and id like to avoid it

ALSO, just thought of this, when i bought the truck the vac pump was very noisy, owner said i needed to replace it so he gave me a brand new one bought that day, when i replaced it, thats when the sputtering and excessive black smoke occured

ALSO, just thought of this, when i bought the truck the vac pump was very noisy, owner said i needed to replace it so he gave me a brand new one bought that day, when i replaced it, thats when the sputtering and excessive black smoke occured
    I think you just your answered your own question. Sounds like that "new" vac pump is less than stellar.

For what it's worth, I like the vac setup as the computer can control the finer aspects of the engine better than a spring can.

HAHA i think i found it....the vaccum line goes from the pump to the plug with 2 wires, then to the turbo, one of the wires is broke. problem solved?

HAHA i think i found it....the vaccum line goes from the pump to the plug with 2 wires, then to the turbo, one of the wires is broke. problem solved?
    Electrical wire? Hmmm. I surprised it didn't set a code - but then, I don't know much about the OBDI computer.

Either way, splice it together and see what happens!

Good luck - let's hope this is it and you luck out with an easy fix!