Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermal locking front diff question

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post

I know, it's embaracing to the young ones to have to twist hubs and have that unsightly lever on the floor of the car, sorry about their vanity, but the stuff works, and works well.
    Both of my 4x4'x (Tahoe and Jeep Wrangler) still have the lever on the floor, and I like it that way!

I just wish I had locking hubs on the front axle of both. On the Jeep, the front driveshaft spins all the time. I'm having to replace the double-cardan joint now. It probably wouldn't have worn out yet if I could have unlocked the front end and allow the shafts and other parts to be stationary when not needed.

At least on the Tahoe there is the CAD, so the front driveshaft doesn't spin when in 2WD. Still, I always wonder when I tug on the lever, is the front end going to lock in? (Never had a failure, but still....)

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Exactly
    yank the lever then pray that the gizmo works.

Been in that predicament a time or two with a couple GMT 400 TRUCKS.
    Sort of a sinking feeling in the gut when the lock light for the front end fails to light up.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY