Thread: A question of taste... (or the lack thereof)

Cowracer Guest

Wink

As you all know, I have my engine down at The Diesel Depot for a rebuild with all the bells and whistles. I was talking with Benny yesterday, and the question of color came up.

I was thinking that I would honor its 'lineage' by having them paint it that pale green that you see on big Detroit Diesels. If nothing else, its a great "in joke" for people who know diesels, and a subtle shot at the Ford crowd and their Navistar converted gasser motors that they all are so proud of. ("True Detroit Diesel from the ground up, Baby!")

But do you think that would look out of place on a dark blue truck? If so, what color should I paint it?

Finally, does ANYONE make some "bling-bling" for these motors. Ya know, billet or chrome bits and pieces. I know I can have the intake polished, but I was looking for more. I just dumped a metric ton of money into this thing, and to the casual observer, it will look just like any old dump truck motor.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Tim

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Howdy
    The ONLY color to go with is Detroit Grn! I used it and it looks really cool. I can email you some pics of the engine if you want. I was going to have the stock Valve covers chromed but it was $$$$$ so went with the Green paint. I also have a Detroit sticker made for the valve covers. send me an email to the_janssens at earthlink.net and I'll get you some pics. Ya gotta do something to WOW em when you open the hood!
    L8r
    Conley Janssen

gmctd Guest

Have the valve covers chromed.

The timing cover is aluminum - strip and polish it

Have the water-pump plate chromed

The several accessory brackets are aluminum - polish them

The turbo heat sheild is low-grade stainless - polish or chrome it.

The turbo compressor scroll is aluminum - polish it

Polish the upper plenum and intake manifold

Copper plate - or, gold - the inj pipes for some contrast

I'd go for the Detroit Diesel look, also..........

Almost fergot - ya need something Chevrolet Orange, also, as they were the division told to shape up (corporate average fuel economy) or ship out (the 350 and the 454).

[ 05-04-2005, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

chickenhunterbob Guest

in metric currency, that would be a tonne. [img]smile.gif[/img]

eh

I would keep it black.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

The rebuilder painted mine black. I requested Chevy red/orange for the valve covers. Looks great but I kinda wish I'd had the whole thing red/orange. It would be easier to spot oil leaks etc.
    '95 K2500 6.5TD. K+N,BD chip. 4"exhaust, '97cooling, 18:1 pistons, Heath Turbo-Master 225,000miles....'05 Dodge 3500 CTD, '97 Jeep G.Cherokee,'01Bonneville SSEI, '67 GTO, '76 T/A, '52 Chevy 3600 in pieces!

I believe Chrome will retain more Heat.

My vote... Black. Very Black.
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

mhagie Guest

My 6.5 from The Diesel Depot is the late 70's blue with the intake a silver that Benny supplied.
    See my pics the engine is pictured there judge for yourself...........Merle

john8662 Guest

Chrome valve covers, while that would be cool, anyone know if the passengers side cover is going to be a problem. You know, it's all full of this metal mesh, that I don't think would take to kindly to the chrome. I'm gonna drag a set of covers down to my local chrome shop and see what they can do, I've been thinking how cool it will look. I've got the turbo heat shield here all mirror like sitting beside me [img]smile.gif[/img]

dieseldummy Guest

I painted mine black... I wish I would have gone more exotic. Cat yellow is always a conversation starter.

CareyWeber Guest

This isn't my scout's SD33, but my kids think its cool.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...achmentid=9885

Carey

gmctd Guest

Bend the tab, remove the mesh............

moondoggie Guest

Good Day!

[i]

Arrow

If I remember correctly, The Depot talked about offering chrome valve covers....

I would definitely get the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated silver. Dr. Lee's still looked great last summer, a couple years since having them done.

MP

mhagie Guest

One more note on the ceramic coated manifolds when you go over them with a fine 3M pad it shines them up like they were chrome, a little trick from Benny.
    Merle

Painted my TTD engine Volvo engine green..., just couse it was available.
    Looks different, kinda like it.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

tom.mcinerney Guest

Agree with Dstoops that color should contrast with black oil leaks.
    Mine mostly BenjaminMoore Industrial Urethane [dark Green] , but with vac pump a light color for visibility, and contrasting shades on accessory mtg brackets, so as to see at a glance what-is-what when troubleshooting/disassembling.
    I hate painting...but the time it saves cleaning justifies in long run. The torque values on painted stuff will relax as paint settles.
    The alternator bracket and thermo Xover will need bright surfaces beneath grounding eyelets.

Maybe a polished timing cover and turbo heat shield, all remainder painted, might be choice?

Since hood ornaments have been discontinued with respect to aerodynamic efficiency constraints , you may need a bulldog on the upper plenum ....

There is NO sensible requirement that the underhood decor 'match' the exterior. Think Freud-
    Further, blue goes with anything. Think sunset-

NH2112 Guest

A friend painted his 6.5l Detroit Green, with the valve covers done in a "hammer tone" finish. Brackets are black, the Fisher plow pump is yellow, the aluminum stuff is all polished. It looks pretty nice, not too showy but not too dull.