Thread: Stick shift trucks.....

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Default Stick shift trucks.....

I know there are several who would burn me for saying this, but I think it's a crime they don't put stick shifts in trucks anymore.

Yes the Allison is a good automatic transmission, but I miss the lever and extra pedal that I've had in the past.

I've converted three vehicles to manuals in the past, it was fun, made the vehicle more enjoyable to drive (for me) and definitely helped the performance of said vehicles in both power to the rear wheels and mpg over the long haul.

I do realize a problem especially with our Duramax motors is the amount of torque they put out. I noticed Eaton makes some nice 6-10 speed (I don't mind shifting more if it's worth it) manuals that would seem to be perfect for our trucks.

If my Allison gives up the ghost (only 93K miles on it right now, 12K hours on the motor though) I will probably look to see how hard it would be to install a manual again.

I did drive a ZF-6 equipped Duramax once and if the price on it had not been ridiculous, I would've bought it. That thing was awesome.

I suppose if I had an 06+ Allison and could command a different gear, I might not mind it so much, but I grew up on the farm driving large equipment. By the time I was 10 I could drive the 13 speed Ford 9000 with 50K of potatoes in it no problem. By the time I was even allowed to drive a vehicle with an auto, I knew what I was doing. I wish it would be easy to teach my kids like that, but it's getting harder and harder to find. At least the 85 K-5 has an old 4-speed, but it's not street legal, and probably will never be.

Yeah, I'm rambling, but I wish they would put a manual back in our trucks...
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Arrow

The ZF S6-650 manual trans used in the early Duramax powered trucks was rated for a maximum of 650 lb-ft of torque. That's one reason why it was dropped. The dual-mass flywheel caused more warranty expense for GM than the Allison did. That's the second reason it was dropped. And lastly, without control over shift management, the newest diesel systems can't meet the emissions regulations.

I too, test drove a ZF truck when they first came out. I thought it was cool, but I'd want the Allison.... Jim

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Surprised none of the Big 3 ever went to Eaton-Fuller 6-speeds. Made for a truck up to 80K GVWR. That should handle a Duramax.

The emissions thing is another deal, and it sucks, period.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

I agree. I miss the hand shaker. That's one reason why I keep my old truck around (not the one listed in my signature).
    2003 2500HD LS CC/LB 4x4 Duramax/Allison Completely Stock
    265LT75R16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS (had: BFG AT 49,392 miles)
    Pewter color
    193,000 miles on stock injectors so far
    Replaced instrument cluster stepper motors.
    Canadian truck in the USA.

Cool Keeping my 6 Speed

Well, I just spent the last 60 days deciding on the pros and cons of doing injectors on my 01 6 speed. I even had first shot at buying an 09 with 123,500 kms on it. The best deal I could get was $4500 for mine and I was not satisfied with that so I'm biting the bullet and investing the cash in my old faithful.
    It has 247,000 kms on it and the body is excellent so I hope to get another 5 years out of it before I have to finally give up shifting gears.
    My truck before this was an 86 1/2 ton with a 6.2 4 speed standard so I've had nothing but manuals. I think it is too bad that GM stopped building them but I know the demand just is not there. The mechanic doing the work today said that mine is the only one he has seen and he has been there 25 years.

Long live the gear jammers!!!!!
    2001 GMC 2500HD Ext cab SB Dmax 6 speed
    86 6.2D
    79 5.7D
    D.P. member # 1885
    Ontario Plate "DMAX DSL"

I've kept my old '95 with the 5sp manual for more than the reason of just preferance.

Working around the farm there are a lot of jobs that an automatic is just a pain. Picking up hay is the biggest. With the manual I can just put it in 4w low and 1st gear and let it idle along. With an automatic you have to hold your foot on the gas to get the rig to move.

The nice even speed makes it nice for whoever is stacking hay because it's way easy to fall off everytime the driver has to step on the gas.

Even more so when the driver is a 12 or 13 year old....

I also perfer the manual for driving in slick conditions. I can control the gear I'm in to prevent wheel spin. All things equal, I'll take a stick over an auto for driving in slick/ice/snow any day.

Big Green