Thread: Glowplug Controller Update 83' to newer

Default Glowplug Controller Update 83' to newer

1983 K5 6.2L, i have all the Diesel Page books and bought the new controller + plug. But in the book it says to install the controller on the DS fender for a warm climate. I live in Toronto Canada so I dont have any issues with warm starting just when its dead cold out.

In the book it says that the factory location was on the firewall above the motor, does that location work best?

Secondly Im a little hesitant to do this repair, since i dont feel like i have enough information about which wires go where. does anyone have a colour coded diagram?

This truck is my daily driver so i cant afford for it to be out of service

thanks

I used an '88 up controller. Here's the wiring diagram. If you need the stock 83 diagram I have that as well.

The new controller can also be mounted on the block off plate that is supposed to replace the fitting the stock 1983 glow plug controller screws into. That is where it was mounted on a stock as far as I know 1988 K30 I have been using for parts.

I did this upgrade to my '84 C20 Suburban a few months ago and love it. I put it on the fender like the article suggested since I am in Texas. It is winter here, but pretty warm and the controller has still come on every single time I turn the key on. Even when just running into a store for a soda and back out. We will see what summer brings.

I just followed the book and installed it on the fender wall, i just dont know what to do with the wires running to the old controller. The new controller works great and solved my random glowplug cycling issue.

thanks

Hey hatzie55, is there any chance you would have the schematic for a 1986 GMC, or if you could post the 83 diagram, that would help also thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corpse View Post
    1983 K5 6.2L, i have all the Diesel Page books and bought the new controller + plug. But in the book it says to install the controller on the DS fender for a warm climate. I live in Toronto Canada so I dont have any issues with warm starting just when its dead cold out.

In the book it says that the factory location was on the firewall above the motor, does that location work best?

Secondly Im a little hesitant to do this repair, since i dont feel like i have enough information about which wires go where. does anyone have a colour coded diagram?

This truck is my daily driver so i cant afford for it to be out of service

thanks
    The tech piece you're talking about lays out the simplest and least expensive way to upgrade. The 1985-93 controller was originally mounted to the block-off plate at the rear of the driver's side cylinder head in the 1985-93 trucks where it was affected by engine heat. The temperature of the controller affects the length and frequency of glow cycle times. Mounting the controller on the fender or firewall will allow the controller to cycle as though the engine temperature is cold. This is OK. Mounting it to the fender allows you to keep the balance of the glow system wiring. If you wanted to mount it to the cylinder head, you'd need a new glow plug wiring harness made for the 1985-93 glow systems - that run to each of the eight glow plugs.

The new 1985-93 controller harness pigtail shown in the article does not have color-coded wires - they're all white in color. Simply use the pinout letters (A-E) to make the connections to the vehicle wiring. Seek help from someone experienced with automotive wiring if you need to. The wiring connections really are pretty easy to complete, but I know it can seem hard for those with little experience. Once you complete the conversion, you'll likely think it was easier than before you began. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PO-TECH View Post
    Hey hatzie55, is there any chance you would have the schematic for a 1986 GMC, or if you could post the 83 diagram, that would help also thanks
    These are PDF scans. Enjoy

1983 GM Light Truck wiring manual http://johnnynightstick.s3.amazonaws..._30_and_ST.pdf

1986 GM Light Truck wiring manual http://johnnynightstick.s3.amazonaws...10_30_Only.pdf