Thread: Alternator Regulators

Lightbulb

I've been reading like crazy. I'm enjoying every discussion. So, here's my first question. It's not really about Diesel per-se, since almost any diesel question could be answered just by reading through the forum.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with HEHR Power System's Alternators and Regulators? I have a former firetruck with an high-amp and I think the regulator is broken. When I have all the electrical stuff on (Headlights, Wipers, HVAC Blower, Rear A/C Blower, etc.) the Volts drop to 9 or so and everything slows down/dims. When I put up the RPMS it seems to level off and driving down the road is fine. Just idle is a problem. It used to have a high idle that I took out, so perhaps it is just not spinning the Alt fast enough.

It seems to boil down to three possibilities: Bad regulator, bad alternator, or not enough RPMs.

Any suggestions on how I can tell?

I ran across a HEHR marine regulator on ebay for like 20 bucks so I bought it. I don't know if they're interchangeable, but I have that to test with if someone can tell me for sure that I can swap them.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    1994 6.5 TD Suburban. Former NY Firetruck. FSD Heat-Sync from ssdiesel. Posi-Lok 4x4 axle actuator. Thats it so far!

tom.mcinerney Guest

Ryan-
    I'm not familiar with the HEHR (or whatever brand).
    I think within the last year John Kennedy commented that some hi output alternators have lower output at idle. It IS helpful to maintain good system voltage at idle. System voltage is usually regulated lower in warmer temps. Connections and cabling matter. I think the best system for rigs with lots of extra electric loads is the OEM dual alternator arrangement.
    You can probably find discussion of alternators using the forum SEARCH feature.