Thread: 6.2 liter injector pump on a 1996 6.5 turbo diesel

Default 6.2 liter injector pump on a 1996 6.5 turbo diesel

I wanted to know if a 6.2 liter diesel mechanical injector pump can be put on a 6.5 liter diesel. I have an 82 chevy k20 pickup truck with a 6.2 liter diesel. I am trying to install a 6.5 liter turbo diesel out of a 96 Tahoe. I wanted to change the electronic pump on the 6.5 with the mechanical injector pump from the 6.2. Will this work?

Welcome to the club.
    Old habits, die hard.

Thank you.

I'm sorry I haven't got a positive answer for you, just an opinion. I believe the 6.5 turbo motor is all computer controlled. I've got an 83, all mechanical, (and love the simplicity). however, I've also heard the turbo 6.5 has much more power than the 6.2. what you're trying to do is something I've also considered to get more power out of my truck. Have the turbo motor, w/o the electronics or computer. I'm also going out on a limb and saying i "think" your mechanical IP, will bolt to your 6.5, but not sure if the turbo requires other functions or signals from the computer. I'm curious to hear how you make out. Good luck.
    Old habits, die hard.

Hi
    Are you putting the 6.5 into the 83?
    If yes then you can use the mechanical pump.
    If you want to use the mechanical pump in the 96,then a few other things need to be answered,like is the 96 auto or manual.
    Give us a little more info on what you are doing and someone will give you the info you are looking for.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Default Mechanical pump on 6.5 TD

Yes you can put a the 6.2 injection pump on the newer

6.5 td engine but if your looking for the full bennefit of upgrading to the 6.5 as a more powerfull repower the best thing to do is to get the db2831-4911 pump from the 92-93 6.5 turbo diesel engines

it is basically the same pump as the db2829 series pumps on the 6.2 1 wire to run

I have done alot of homework on these engines for conversions

My truck is an 81 that had a big block I have had nearly a dozen engines in it

first swap was a 6.2 diesel that had 6.5 td heads with t cups and a db2831 4911 pump I also had an n/a 6.2 the large cups made for kind of a sluggish engine with no turbo

that was the first diesel swap I actually ran a 4.3 v6 tbi marine engine for 6 years

I am a part time hot shot so I use the truck

after I had a catastrophic rear main seal failure in the last 6.2 I decided I wanted new iron I was considering a cummins swap but if I put a cummins in it wouldnt past MDOT Motor Carrier Safety Inspection

and Id rather work on a gm v8 than a cummins personal preference I guess

So I unloaded a payment and opted for a new amg p400 n/a long block dropped it in with a reman db2831-4911 and then I backed the pump off 3/8 turn because I was getting excessive black smoke high egt

where it is set it runs great many tell me it sounds like a gas job its so quiet and it has plenty of balls it feels like a big block and I have nbo turbo maybey it wouldnt feel like a big block to he who has a big block but I had a ford plow truck with an idi 7.3 and my new 6.5 feels comparable to that 7.3 or a 6.9

and I am not running a turbo I picked up a banks and I am considering getting an hx35 or hx40 but its running so well not sure I will bother with a turbo only time I ever wanted more power was hauling through west va last september

and now to new FMCSA law I need an EOBR to comply so my brokers have been dropping me becuase all the devices need obdII and I am driving a 32 year old truck

so it may never see a turbo but anyway hope this is helpful you wont use the crank sensor and if you put the v belt stuff on you will need to put the 6.2 vac pump where the 6.5 crank sensor is
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

Default put 1982-85 i.p. on 1996 6.5 TD

Hello, to answer above question, yes , it is a 1996 Tahoe w/auto tranny, i was hopeing if it was possible or has been done to put a 6.2 i.p. on my 6.5 TD Tahoe, just tired of going through PMDs and other electronics, if anyone has been successful in the transition before i try, i just happen to have a LOT of good 6.2 parts, if anyone needs any, i have them cheap, i don't want to get in trouble advertising on here, thanks ,mike91

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mike91 View Post
    ...... i just happen to have a LOT of good 6.2 parts, if anyone needs any, i have them cheap, i don't want to get in trouble advertising on here, thanks ,mike91
    No problems advertising parts for sale, in the TDP Classified Ad Forum. However, they must be personally owned, non-commercial sales. Please contact me via email, or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the pages, if you have any questions.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com