Thread: P400 turbo gm 7 good bad or about right

Default P400 turbo gm 7 good bad or about right

My 4x4 is an oz built OKA it came from the factory with standard 110 hp turbo Perkins I have repowered with a P400 coupled to 4l80e she drags a 4500 lb trailer and its main work is at 55 mph on the tar and lots of soft sand desert type terrain mixed in with the usual rocky undulating country. The p400 has come with a GM 7 turbo centre mount and an inlet manifold that needs to be changed as its configuration won't accommodate an intercooler. Having researched the write ups on turbos in the TDP can't find anything on the GM7. Maybe the holset 40 will be a better option , any clues appreciated .

I hear the holset hx40wII is the best thing for this engine that or and hx35 I have watched many youtube videos of them on 6.2s and 6.5s others will jump in with more advice

Im not sure the configuration you plan to run not do I know anything about the gm7 I think the gm6 is the centermount I have seen

I got a p400 in my truck that is all completely custom built and rebuilt and rebuilt I have had it since I was an early teen 4 sets of fenders 2 sets of doors 3 cabs 4 beds 9 engines 6 transmission 2 frames and a million miles or more

some say its time for a new truck others are amazed by me devotion dedication and love for the old beast

so yes its last gift was a p400 it has an nv4500 4.10s 245s its used for everything from woods rides highway cruising at 70 mph towing at 70 mph being towed ect no turbo yet

I got a banks kit for it but I am looking into replacing the banks turbo with an hx35 or 40wII if I use the kit the more I drive it n/a the less I really could give 2 squats it I ever turbo it although its now becoming more of a toy

anyway after watching some videos I do think the hx40wII is an excellent choice I do want to see what others think but as I said my research isnt on overdrive since Im pretty happy with the power I have without a turbo at all
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

Do you find an intercooler something needed

I am considering putting one in mine if I turbo but I have considered without also

I have a gm intake setup I plan to use if I use an intercooler but if I do not use intercooler I will use the banks intake setup

all the youtube videos I have seen none of them are running intercoolers
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

I think a IC is always a good thing, cooler air is more air,,,

The turbo, well it depends on who you talk to.. I don't think there is any one that is suited for all types of driving, sort of depends on the use of the motor and rpm range you will want the best use for any given turbo set up..

I would stay away from the so called HX40II, unless you like the Chinese stuff, spend more and get a real Holset if going the HX route..
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Talking P400turbogm7

Hi guys, yep I've contemplated leaving the setup as it is and it will be the cylinder temps when ploughing through heavy desert sands in 56 deg c ambients that dictates whether more cooler air is required. Have separate radiator for engine oil cooling installed. I had a 93 6.5 turbo in it previously, the blow by went from ziltch to excessive after 5 min from start up and the old clear tube on the dip stick pipe trick bubbled away happily. The engine and 4l80e were running into the red so a complete makeover was decided. We use the Oka to service the aboriginal communities on a monthly basis which is a round trip of 1800 miles out into the centre of the oz deserts, reliability here is paramount of course so wanting to set the p400 up with the best equipment to give it every chance of being in the game of survival of the fittest. Any info from raw experience here will certainly reduce the trial and terror of inventing the wheel again.My expertise is in the refrigeration industry so heat exchangers and heat rejection is my comfort zone however the science of the contemporary combustion engine and its add on technology is a sharp learning curve for me and Im enjoying the TDP information learning curve. Safe travels to all, Doc Davey

Mebbe look at water/meth injection,...
    as and when required etc,..

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    Mebbe look at water/meth injection,...
    as and when required etc,..

Nick
    I'd second that, and G'day from someone also in Australia, I'm chasing reliability also for the same reasons.. when we drive across the desert for 8 days and don't see another car, it's a good idea not to break down !!

Google UORVA, and speak to Dennis Sweeny he has built some race H1s using the P400, and that's who I brought mine off, he also sells an intercooler kit and an AM General modified turbo for a 300Hp mechanically injected upgrade.

The route I was looking at was having a custom intercooler made by
    www.bellintercoolers.comand using custom piping and fittings for my application.

I've heard people have had some luck with snow performance water/meth injection, which is worth giving a crack since its basically liquid intercooling for a fraction of the price.

The only downside for us being where we are geographically is being prepared for nozzle or pump failures from the corrugations and having to carry the water/meth mix. But you should have plenty of room in that Oka.
    Travis
    96 Hummer - Project P400

Quote Originally Posted by Vin82k3500 View Post
    Do you find an intercooler something needed

I am considering putting one in mine if I turbo but I have considered without also

I have a gm intake setup I plan to use if I use an intercooler but if I do not use intercooler I will use the banks intake setup

all the youtube videos I have seen none of them are running intercoolers
    You start gettin into the "need" and intercooler at around 8-10 PSIG. Below that, IAT's are pretty manageable.

Some will disagree, but 8-10 psi is the most commonly accepted threshold level....
    1998 k2500