Thread: Fresh start for Unknown 6.2...advice?

Default Fresh start for Unknown 6.2...advice?

I've got a complete 6.2 that I want to swap into a Toyota Landcruiser. The engine was out of the truck (that it came from) when I bought it. I'll have enough to do with adapting it to the Toyota running gear, so I want to just build this 6.2 for reliability & fuel economy. It's NA, and supposedly from 1988.

I gather that the harmonic balancer should be replaced (any favorites), and I'll probably replace the glow plugs (60G), the water pump, and maybe even the injectors.

Is there anything you guys would replace just for safe measure if you had an engine on the stand?

I'll likely use the hydroboost from the 6.2 truck and remove my vacuum brake booster. I don't need vacuum for anything else—what's the best way to block off that hole?

Thanks in advance for fielding a bunch of noob questions—

Don

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

You should get good power, reliability and economy with this project.

The balancer should be replaced, if there's any doubt of it's condition. Certainly, if it's original. The brand depends on your wallet, OEM (not aftermarket), or Fluidampr. More is better. Glow plugs are a good idea if they're original (9G). Otherwise, any later thermistor type plug is fine, if they work. Definitely injectors, if you don't know their age or origin.

"Safe measure" depends on the condition of the whole package. If it isn't a serpentine accessory belt drive, you may consider that, as it's a lot less headache down the road.

Hydroboost is a good idea.

DO NOT just "block off that hole". The vacuum pump drive not only drives the vacuum pump, it also drives the oil pump at the other end. You can use a non-vacuum pump shaft, or use a tach generator shaft, if you want a simple tachometer solution.

Good luck and keep us up to date!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com