Thread: Pittman Arm grease fitting won't...

Arrow Pittman Arm grease fitting won't...

The grease fitting on the Pittman Arm in my '01 won't take grease, no matter how hard (within reason) I push on the grease gun lever.

Any good fixes for this? The PA is still tight otherwise. No need to replace it because of wear. Is the grease fitting replaceable? Thx.

Jim

There is an impact tool that you load with light hydraulic oil and whack with a hammer.

http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/K...-Fittings.aspx

I really think if you did a thorough check you'll find both the pitman and idler arms are loose.

Just jack the RH front tire off the ground via the a-arm with the LH still on the ground (preferably against a curb) and try to steer the RH wheel by grabbing at 3 and 9 oclock Watch the drag link rise and fall as it rotates.

The GM steering and suspension is quite forgiving and you don't really notice how bad it is until you fix with new arms and support kits. The steering will become far more precise and predictable.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Funny that this showed up at this moment. I just found that my pitman arm was loose a couple of weeks ago, and, since the steering box is leaking, and I have 162 K on the clock, I ordered up a new one of each. Now I just have to make time and put it up on the lift and change them.

Yes, the grease fitting is replaceable. I've replace several of mine, in the tie-rod ends, ball joints and on the pitman arm. I have this dang grease nozzle that flat grabs a fitting so hard that I've pulled the little tapered ends right out of the base on several of the right-angle fittings when I've yanked it away after greasing.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.