Thread: detroit

Default detroit

would like some help on a 6-71 she started smoking a little bit then it started getting worse but it still ran fine and it cleaned up when on the move now its smoking like a freight train wont clean up and when you first start to take off it seems like its flooded it will miss spit and sputter until the rpms come up and it will run okay and now it is harder to start any help would sure be appreciated thanks

Hi
    i had/have 671's
    How long have you been using the detroit?
    Check the usual suspects,filters fuel and air.How long since oil change?
    Mine like straight weight oils,30W summer,10W if in cold weather.If they got 15w40 they would puke it out of the air boxs when cold.
    Get some stanadyne injector cleaner and fill a new filter and run that through.
    Make sure that anyone that works on the injectors/rack know what they are doing.One guy that did the injectors on mine had it run away.Very scarey experience,thought i was going to lose my fuel truck and shop that day.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

new filters new oil and run injector cleaner through almost seems like its getting to much fuel and flooding

Arrow

You can't "flood" a Diesel. If it's "overfueled", it's running away.

Go back to basics. White smoke is cold combustion. Look to the possible causes, including fuel quality/contamination, timing(s), air intrusion/outgassing, injector health, etc.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default 6-71

From the symptoms you describe it sounds like your 6-71 DD could have an issue with the first cold weather of the season. A well used/old two stroke DD will smoke and miss until it gets up to operating temperature. It is getting cold in Mi. so make sure the thermostat/winter front/shutters what ever the truck is equipped with are working properly.

John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Quote Originally Posted by dieselmadman View Post
    would like some help on a 6-71 she started smoking a little bit then it started getting worse but it still ran fine and it cleaned up when on the move now its smoking like a freight train wont clean up and when you first start to take off it seems like its flooded it will miss spit and sputter until the rpms come up and it will run okay and now it is harder to start any help would sure be appreciated thanks
    What color is the smoke? White is unburnt fuel, black is over fueling, blue is lube oil burning. All have different causes. You can also smell the smoke and tell what is burning. Let us know.

it always had a little oil burn blue smoke not a lot but a little now im getting lots of black and white smoke I know u cant flood a diesel but that is kind of what it acts like now it wont hardly start and when it does it runs terrible you have to keep feathering throttle or it will stall and smokes like a train blue white and black it started acting like it was loading up when you cleaned it out it sort of was okay. temp up where it needs to be. thanks for help

Quote Originally Posted by dieselmadman View Post
    it always had a little oil burn blue smoke not a lot but a little now im getting lots of black and white smoke I know u cant flood a diesel but that is kind of what it acts like now it wont hardly start and when it does it runs terrible you have to keep feathering throttle or it will stall and smokes like a train blue white and black it started acting like it was loading up when you cleaned it out it sort of was okay. temp up where it needs to be. thanks for help
    now it will backfire every now and then

tried all cheap fixes nothing worked any body got any ideas thanks