Thread: Anyone install a intercooler on a 6BD1-T isuzu

Default Anyone install a intercooler on a 6BD1-T isuzu

Hi all i want to no if anyone has installed a intercooler on a isuzu 6BD1-T , i have a 1986 ftr11 jcr-500 , if not is this possble ? or not ?

Arrow

Anything is possible. If the truck you have was offered with an intercooler in other applications, you could avoid some of the fabrication by sourcing those factory parts. If, on theother hand, that truck body style was never offered with an intercooler, some degree of creativity will be required to make one work.

About 10-psi is the breakpoint where below that level an intercooler is not all that important, where above that point an intercooler would make a worthwhile improvement in performance and result in lower exhaust temperatures.

Jim

Default intercooler on a 6BD1-T isuzu

Quote Originally Posted by f700 View Post
    Hi all i want to no if anyone has installed a intercooler on a isuzu 6BD1-T , i have a 1986 ftr11 jcr-500 , if not is this possble ? or not ?
    so im guessing im the only one that in the world to try this i have the , intercooler now thanks all for youe replys lots of help

You DID notice that 187 people viewed your post, right? No need to go away mad just because nobody on this forum has done what you're asking...

Good luck!

Default not mad

i was just thanking more power for his reply im just alittle shock that no one as dun this before pic of intercooler a friend sold to me for a $100 dollar au 2013-02-14-133.jpg

2013-02-14-134.jpg

Post some pictures when you are done. I'd love to see what you came up with.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Arrow

I have installed a couple of intercoolers in trucks that were never offered with a factory IC. This is why I mentioned that anything is possible with a little creativity (and a little effort & money).

We've also published articles covering those installs. It wouldn't take much to adapt what we did to make it work for just about any truck. As is always the case, we include part sources with every article so anyone can duplicate what we did far easier than it was for us. We had to do all the leg work, spend time on the phone, wait for the parts to arrive, prepare the working drawings, spend time figuring everything out and then visit to a fab shop to make the brackets and weld the custom aluminum & steel parts.

It's not surprising that the responses were few when asking for specific information about an IC install on an Isuzu 6BD1-T in a 1986 ftr11 jcr-500. I'm not even sure what that vehicle is....

Default intercooler mounting

hi all i have finsh the mounting for the intercooler update pic ,s there will be mesh in front ill weld that on when mounted
    Attached Images Attached Images

How is the install going?

We are interested in a similar install for a 6BD1T in a Bedford bus and would like to get an idea of any challenges and successes you may encounter.

Cheers!~

Default intercooling a 6bd1t

Hi im in bungendore nsw you will new to install a ect guage to see how hot its run s before the intercooler is on this will tell you two things temperature climbing a hill its would be about 520 c which would mean the pump is at its maxs by adding the intercooler you should pick up 20%hp on top of your 175hp with not touching the pump im using 3 inch piping as you no not to much room to work in with take more pic as i go
    Last edited by f700; 01-01-2014 at 06:17. Reason: spelling

Default intercooling 6bd1t

truck 1.jpg im having a hard time loading pic ,s

Default 6bd1t intercooler

truck 3.jpg pic where i mount the intercooler on my truck