Thread: 2001 6.6 hard start when warmed up

Default 2001 6.6 hard start when warmed up

had a problem with the 6.6, changed the fuel filer housing/primer pump & the two fuel lines on top , with a new fuel filter ,...it was great for 1 day ,nex day same problem ,..after it is warmed up & shut off its a hard restart ,..checked all connections all good & clean ,..no pressure on primer pump ,..no fuel leaks ,..its an 2001 ,with 164 k on it had new inj, installed at 121k ,..any help appreciated ,...

Arrow

Welcome to the board!

If the problem suddenly appeared after the new fuel filter assy was installed, I'd want to positively eliminate that as a possibility before moving on.

If you can pump the primer and remove air after the truck has sat for a time, there's air getting in somewhere.

Default hard start after it warms up

the problem was there b-4 i changed the primer pump & filter assy,& the 2 fuel lines from the primer pump ,..thats why they got changed ,..funny thing was it ran perfect for 1 day ,..now its back to suckin air from somwhere ,..maybe ill have to change all the rubber fuel lines , the ones off the primer pump were cracked ,..fig between that & the primer pump i was losing the prime ,...i guess ill have to take a closer look ,...thanks for the input ,...

Put a lift pump on it and apply steady pressure to the system. If there is a leak you will find it. If not you'll still be helping the filter, injection pump and injectors.

Often it is as simple as a leaking oring on the OE filter head. Many condemn the filter head as "cracked" but I don't buy that. For $20 we have a simple oring kit that replaces all of the orings in the filter head.

WIF sensors tend to leak. We replace with a plug with a drain.

Also, the black plastic fuel filters also tend to be difficult to seal and are truly sub standard in design as hey are a single layer media vs dual layer of any good modern filter.

If bleeding/pumping do not help then it's injectors allowing excess return flow which is often mis diagnosed as a bad injection pump.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!