Thread: 85 6.2 w/banks turbo to 94 6.5 turbo

Red face 85 6.2 w/banks turbo to 94 6.5 turbo

hi guys,
    I am newbie , searched for post coving my question and didnt find any.

so hopefully im in the right place.

i just bought an 85 c30 1 ton dually with a 6.2 diesel that has a banks sidewinder turbo kit. well the 6.2 as it turns out has a cracked block. yeeeeaah.

i have searched some junkyards for another engine and did find a 94 with a 6.5 turbo.
    now as i understand the 6.5 turbo has some interesting fitment issues in an older 80's truck. along with the "computer control issue"

so my question is...can i use the 6.5, removing the stock turbo and exaust man. and use the 6.2 man. and banks turbo. and maybe the mechanical ip as well?. and use all the 6.2 v belt alt,.ps water pump etc.,..am i on the right page or is this more involved than i am thinking?

thank you in advance for any help.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

It's really simple. The 1994 long block will work just fine, with some accommodations. I recommend working in the serpentine belt system, but other than that, it will work. You'll need to update the injection pump and/or injection lines (the 85 injection lines won't line up), but the engine will fit. You don't need the electronic system to make it work, as the 92-93 TD system is mechanical.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com