Thread: Extrude Hone?

trbankii Guest

I did a couple searches through the various forums and only turned up a few people asking about using the Extrude Hone process on a diesel engine, but no real answers.

With the discussions on port matching and such it would seem like it would do some good. They were at a car show that I went to the other week and the prices seemed reasonable. Their main facility in Irwin, PA is on my way to relatives in Ohio so they said it might be possible to schedule time with them and drop parts off on the way out and pick them up a few days later on the way back through.

So, what are people's thoughts on having intake/exhaust/turbo manifolds honed?

One of the things PowerFlow can do is flow match the ports on an intake manifold to be within a couple % of each other. I would be interested in seeing the results of this process.

I would also like to see the performance gains of flowing the exhaust housing of the turbo.

Everything else probably would not meet the price/performance benefit ratio that other modifications are yielding.
    1999 K2500 Suburban LT w/3.73 gears
    265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos
    SS oil lines & HB7 cooler
    More to come...

trbankii Guest

Actually, the prices weren't too unreasonable and I figured that after port matching things it would make sense to go the next step. The cost would be in the shipping, but if I can drop it off because I am passing through anyway it looks like it might be worth it.

What kind of prices were they quoting and for what work ?

don't expect good low lift airflow numbers with that junk.......all it does is make an ugly port a bigger version of it's ugly self.

trbankii Guest

EWC: They were saying about $60 to $70 for a typical intake manifold.

Grape: That was basically what I was asking. I'm not sure how it does with a diesel and the lower RPM range. I know from More Power's article on port matching that the comments were about reducing restrictions and edges that trap heat. The Extrude Hone doesn't reshape anything, but it certainly smooths everything out nicely in a way that you aren't going to get otherwise.

At least in my research, ExtrudeHone has been one of those polarizing subjects. Most of what I have read supports Grape's comments. I have found many that don't think PowerFlow does a good job on the intake ports in a cylinder head. But, a light contour of the port that only removes flashing and rough transitions without changing the shape of the port shouldn't in theory be that bad. But that information generally applies to gasoline engines and the debate can be heated and endless.

$70.00 for upper and lower manifold? Your prices sound very good. It might be worth it to send your intake manifold in and have them do their magic. As I said earlier, I would be curious in seeing the performance gain of an intake manifold that has been flowed and port matched, and a turbine housing/exhaust transition that has been worked.

Perhaps an article idea?
    1999 K2500 Suburban LT w/3.73 gears
    265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos
    SS oil lines & HB7 cooler
    More to come...

trbankii Guest

If I go ahead with it I'd definitely be up for writing about my experiences!

Basically the costs were per part. So anything that you could bolt together and they could bolt into their machine and flow the abrasive through was in the $50 to $100 range depending on how much volume and a few other factors. So two parts bolted together would be much less expensive than doing each part individually.

Have to read through all the stuff they gave me.