Thread: loss of power steering and power brakes

Default loss of power steering and power brakes

All of a sudden I lost power steering and power brakes.
    Replaced power steering pump, went for test drive. Left my house for the freeway, about 1 mile, all is working, entered freeway and got off about 3 miles later and coasting down off ramp went to put on brakes and there was none, no power steering either. Put transmission in neutral and revved up engine to about 1700 rpm and all was good.
    Replaced Hydro Boost and same problem.
    Steering box was replaced Dec. 2013.
    After replacing power steering pump, I was bleeding the system at idle I was able to turn the steering wheel left and right to each stop like normal.
    Do you think maybe I got a bad power steering pump?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    1991 Suburban 6.2L 3/4T 4X4 Banks Sidewinder Turbo Frybridized

Quote Originally Posted by 3ace View Post
    All of a sudden I lost power steering and power brakes.
    Replaced power steering pump, went for test drive. Left my house for the freeway, about 1 mile, all is working, entered freeway and got off about 3 miles later and coasting down off ramp went to put on brakes and there was none, no power steering either. Put transmission in neutral and revved up engine to about 1700 rpm and all was good.
    Replaced Hydro Boost and same problem.
    Steering box was replaced Dec. 2013.
    After replacing power steering pump, I was bleeding the system at idle I was able to turn the steering wheel left and right to each stop like normal.
    Do you think maybe I got a bad power steering pump?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Installed 2nd power steering pump and all is well now.
    1991 Suburban 6.2L 3/4T 4X4 Banks Sidewinder Turbo Frybridized

Similar thing with me. Except my steering kept getting tight when turning. After replacing and checking many other things, turned to be a bad out-of-the-box steering pump. Glad you figured it out. Didn't see your previous post until now or else I would have suggested this!
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"