Thread: Air!!!

Smile Air!!!

Hey guys. Just kinda echoing what I am sure many here already knew, but ,,,,,,,,, I "will tell" anyways. :-)

1982 K10 129k mi. 6.2 w. rebuilt TH400 trans.
    So when I traded for my truck, it had been sitting for the most part of "5 years" (Later to find out it was 8 years! :-/ )
    The PO had last used it as a cab tractor to rake hay in the summer and put out hay in the winter. (Since it had, and still has, working A/C & Heat)
    When he got a real cab tractor 8 years ago, the truck was parked in the shed and, for the most part, forgot about.
    When I got the truck it was in straight solid shape, MOSTLY rust fee, and the frame was true & straight.
    I had to put 4 tires, 2 batteries, a new water pump, and change all the fluids. I sanded down and repainted it with Dupli-Color "Paint Shop" junk and did the hood, top of cab, and bottom 1/4 of the truck with spray on Duplicolor bedliner. (TOUGH stuff!!!!)
    After a few days of driving the truck, it got progressively harder and harder to start. Drove me NUTS trying to find the problem!
    FINALLY I gave up and decided the main injector pump was bad. We already installed a electric fuel supply pump. Just as a last ditch (hope) effort after reading a LOT of post's on this website from the search feature, I replaced ALL the rubber fuel lines.
    TA DAAAAA!!!!!
    Problem solved!
    Now the glow plug light cycles once, I hit the key, and it comes to life like a brand spanking new truck!!!
    Good grief!!!!
    All that time money on glow plugs, controller, solenoid, filters, pump timing, electric pump add on, and all it was was about $10 worth of 1/4" and 3/16" Gates fuel lines and about 2 hrs of my time! (I work kinda slow)

Future reference: If anyone reading this is having hard to start problems, start with the cheap rubber lines FIRST!!! LOL
    1982 K10 / 6.2na / TH400, 31x1050x15 NEXEN MT's, old, but good SOLID truck.
    Now mostly restored interior. Pics coming soon!

Since we are talking about old rubber and the problem it causes, you might also want to invest in a new harmonic balancer if that hasn't already been done.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    Since we are talking about old rubber and the problem it causes, you might also want to invest in a new harmonic balancer if that hasn't already been done.
    New one goes on next week.
    1982 K10 / 6.2na / TH400, 31x1050x15 NEXEN MT's, old, but good SOLID truck.
    Now mostly restored interior. Pics coming soon!

Glad to hear of your success. Don't know how many times I was chasing a rabbit trail only to find it was some $2 part or a 10 minute fix! Usually the next thing to try to resolve a engine performance issue is the fuel filter. Yours should have 2. Keep spares in the vehicle for on the road fix. Had to do this once or twice.
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"