Thread: Broken Exhaust Flange Bolt Options?

Default Broken Exhaust Flange Bolt Options?

Replacing the crossover pipe on my truck this weekend. Of course, I managed to break off a couple of the bolts despite liberal applications of Kroil over the past week. Looking at the remains, I'm not sure I stood much chance of getting them out intack. So - is drilling them out the best approach or does anyone have any other suggestions?

As a side note, what's the best way to extract the "donuts" from the manifolds? Looking at the new ones, I'm guessing I just grab hold of them with a pair of vice-grips and wiggle them out? They also seem to be fairly corroded in place.

Side, side note, last night's project was replacing the drive belt on my plotter - which meant disassembling half the plotter to remove the carriage. This is just one of those weekends...

Attached Images Attached Images
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

A mig welder would be the easy way,. just keep blobbing the end of the stud and the heating and cooling will break it loose,.

To drill them,. i,d use a grinder and flatten the nub off, then center punch it,.

I,ve had good luck in bad situations, where i drill the hole right thru and use a 5/16ths nut and bolt,.

as for the donuts, hit them with a hammer and chisel collapsing them into the hole,.

when i did mine i used the hot wrench till things were a nice red colour, yanked the nuts off,. then poured the heat to the manifold and changed the studs,.

gotta love living in the rust belt with a 20 yr old pkup.
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi