Thread: Block cracks

Default Block cracks

Been searching around here and I'm not finding anybody who can provide solid input.

I have 2 6.5 blocks I pulled apart for a project. One of them has cracks in 3 of the outer bolt holes. I've looked up the lock-n-stitch thing. I will have to buy the kit and do it myself, as none of my local machine shops will touch this. Has anybody done this without a Mill? Lock-n-stitch sells a generic tool to keep the hole at 90 degrees. Does their tooling self center and do pretty good at keeping itself straight to the hole, or am I going to have to find a Mill big enough to fit this thing into?

I have another block that has a small crack in one of the cap register corners. I'll know more when I have it magged, but I think it's only about 1/4 inch deep, and right on the corner. I'm thinking of just gouging the crack out with a carbide bit and rounding the rest of the square stress riser points off on the bottom of the block.

Anybody out there have experience rebuilding these things with cracks in them? I'm looking for life expectancy with stock power levels.

Hang in there Wild, Missy will have some input on Lock Stich. She has hands on experience with it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold