Thread: New Battery Time I'm Thinking

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Battery Time I'm Thinking

My current set of batteries has been in service for approx 5 years and this is the only set I have purchased since the truck was new which will be 10 years next month. I can't complain I suppose, but I'm thinking I'm about due for another set.

I am currently hosting at a state park in Florida and drive my truck about once a week to go to town. 2-3 days ago I started it and when I looked at the DIC it was telling me to change my oil and the oil % left was zero. I changed the oil an reset the DIC at that time 1,500 miles ago. So I reset it again just to keep the message from popping up. I change my oil/filter every 5,000 miles anyway so it being reset now doesn't bother me. Then I noticed the radio wasn't on the correct band so I reset that. Then I noticed the clock was wrong so I reset that.

Now yesterday I started it and it didn't seem like the starter was as robust as it should be and it took a second or so longer for the engine to start.

Would low voltage/tired batteries during starting cause the radio and DIC issues described? I'm pretty sure about the starting issue because I know this truck pretty well after 10 years. I know I could have the batteries load tested which I will do before replacing them, but just curious from the experts here.

Update: I just checked the DIC again and the engine hours has been reset to zero again also. This happened about 5 years ago too. So let me see, 150,000 miles in 4 hours? This truck is definitely fast.

Thanks.

Ed
    Last edited by EdHale; 06-09-2015 at 06:05.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06