Thread: Dreaded lb7 fuel leak.i can't find it

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dreaded lb7 fuel leak.i can't find it

Hello. I'm new to the forum my name is Edd.ive been reading the forum for a few days and finally had to ask for help.
    My truck is a 2001 2500HD. It has 150k fuel injectors were replaced at 120k not warrantied.Missed it by 30 days. Fuel pump was replaced at 130 as was the fuel pressure regulator.
    The other day I was on a 10 hour drive highway speeds 75mph. About half way through my trip my fuel level got low. Most likely the lowest I've ever run it.
    About an hour after filling it up I started smelling Deisel which was reminiscent of my pressure regulator failure. I was able to physically watch my fuel gauge drop and knew I was leaking pretty good..I stopped for gas and to check it out. As suspected it was just streaming fuel.
    I checked the oil and there was no fuel in the oil so I knew injectors were good. Now had there of been fuel in the oil I would have had it towed but decided to fill up and shoot for home about an hour away. Before I left the gas station I cracked the bleeder screw and pumped the fuel primer a few times. Don't know why I did it but had to try something.
    The engine was running fine. Started fine and didn't smoke. There was no check engine message light ect.
    Back on the highway the fuel gauge was holding steady for about 60 miles than it seemed to start dropping but not as fast as before.
    I made it home and it was leaking but not like it was when I stopped for gas.
    The next day I put in a new fuel filter thinking that may have boosted pressure if I sucked up trash when my fuel got so low earlier during my trip. The filter that was on there had about 1500 miles on it.
    I started the truck and let it run for about 30 minutes after that I held the Rpms at 1500 for a few minutes. No leaks.
    I drove less than a 1/8th of a mile and it was leaking again. The least amount it has leaked yet but still leaking.
    So after studying many posts on this forum I tore into the motor. I should note I'm more than mechanically inclined but have never worked on my duramax.
    So I have the ac compressor removed. Thermostat housing removed. Wire harness disconnected air intake tube removed.
    I found a ton of insulation where a mouse had made a nice home in my engine valley. I checked all wires and nothing chewed. That was my first thought.There is what appears to be wetness from fuel in the bottom of the valley. My driver side valve cover has wetness from Deisel on what I would call the inside valley but is dry near the rear of the engine so it's not running down there.
    I can not figure out where it is leaking. My only thought is the pump but I just don't know. Could it go out so quick since last being replaced?
    Today is the last day I have to diagnose it ,wife says it's going to the shop tomorrow. If I can diagnose it I will attempt to repair it myself.
    Went and looked at a new truck but not for 63k.
    I'm sorry for the long post but was not sure how much of the circumstances were important and appreciate anyone who took the time to read it all.
    Thanks Edd
    Last edited by Floridaedd; 07-19-2015 at 08:37. Reason: Grammar